Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy said in a statement he will not challenge his four-game suspension.
Hardy, previously with the Carolina Panthers, had a 10-game NFL suspension following his guilty verdict on misdemeanor domestic violence charges reduced to four games in July after an NFL Players Association appeal.
After New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady saw his four-game Deflategate suspension nullified by federal judge Richard Berman earlier this month, reports suggested Hardy was considering a similar challenge of his suspension in court.
“While I am terribly disappointed to miss the first four games of this season, I am absolutely determined that my issue is not going to be a distraction for the Cowboys,” Hardy said in the statement released on his behalf by the NFLPA.
“I have enormous affection and respect for everyone here, and having seen the impact a court case can have on an NFL organization, I believe it is in the team’s best interest for me to announce that I will not pursue any further litigation.
“Everything I do from this point on will be designed to bring glory and pride to my family, their family and this team.”
Hardy signed a one-year deal worth up to $13 million with the Cowboys in March. His first game back from the suspension will be at home against the Patriots on Oct. 11. He will miss games against the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints.
- Mike Fiammetta