NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The 2016 NFL season did not get started as planned on Sunday night, as the league canceled the Hall of Fame Game between the Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers due to unsafe field conditions. Now, teams are looking ahead to their first preseason games next weekend.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Colts owner Jim Irsay expressed his frustration with the NFL for letting the game be canceled, telling ESPN “this incompetence can’t happen again.”
• The San Diego Chargers have not talked with rookie defensive end Joey Bosa since July 28, reports Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Bosa is the final unsigned player from the 2016 draft.
• Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that his surgically repaired knee is fully healthy. Bell suffered injuries to his MCL and PCL against the Cincinnati Bengals last season.
• Chicago Bears starting center Hroniss Grassu sustained a torn ACL and will miss the entire season, the team announced on Monday.
• Buffalo Bills rookie linebacker Reggie Ragland has a partially torn ACL, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
• The Cleveland Browns announced they have named Robert Griffin III as their starting quarterback.
• To fill Ragland’s void, the Bills have signed linebacker Brandon Spikes to a one-year deal, reports Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network.
• Veteran tight end Kellen Winslow II announced on Twitter that he is trying out for the Green Bay Packers. Winslow is attempting a comeback after missing the last two seasons.