NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
NFL action has finally returned with the start of the preseason on Thursday. Six games will kick off between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. ET. The starting quarterback battle in Denver will draw attention to the Broncos–Bears game, but matchups across the schedule are all sure to draw intrigue.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The San Diego Chargers won’t have wide receiver Stevie Johnson this year. The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports that although Johnson’s surgery for a torn meniscus was a success, he will miss the entire season.
• The Chargers have yet to agree to a contract with first-round pick Joey Bosa, who wants the removal of offset language in his rookie deal. General manager Tom Telesco told XTRA 1360 that “there has to be” a compromise at some point.
• Chargers tight end Antonio Gates appears tired of Bosa not being in camp. Gates told NFL.com that Bosa needs “to be a man” and get ready to play.
• The Detroit Lions could be without linebacker Jon Bostic for an extended period of time. The Detroit News reports Bostic had to be carted off the field with a leg injury, with head coach Jim Caldwell saying “it’s not a couple day thing.”
• Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Andrew Billings, a fourth-round pick this year, will have an MRI on his knee. Billings injured the knee in a joint practice on Wednesday, and Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com reports the Bengals are hoping it’s a cartilage tear at worst.
• Arizona Cardinals defensive end Chandler Jones is glad Bill Belichick traded him to the Cardinals. Jones told the Arizona Republic he thanked Belichick after the deal for not trading him to a “crappy team.”
• The Indianapolis Colts announced they have waived linebacker Amarlo Herrera. He played in three games last year and was a sixth-round pick by the team in 2015.