Huddle Up: Colts' O-line in flux
An abbreviated look at what’s going on around the NFL on Wednesday, Aug. 17:
• Peyton Manning should be back in time for the regular season, but the Colts are still figuring out who's going to block for him. One of Indianapolis' big challenges this preseason is getting its offensive line settled.
• The Redskins had high hopes for WR Malcolm Kelly when they drafted him in 2008. Unfortunately, Kelly hasn't been able to stay healthy and it has him in danger of being cut before the regular season.
• Igor Olshansky is taking his demotion to the Cowboys' second defensive unit in stride, saying that "It doesn't really matter."
• 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh says that "there's some separation there" in the QB race between Alex Smith and rookie Colin Kaepernick over the past couple of practices, with Smith turning in the better performances.
• Kregg Lumpkin could have stashed away on the Packers' practice squad last season and been part of a Super Bowl winner, but he's trying to take full advantage of his chance to earn playing time in Tampa Bay's backfield.
• The Bengals made an investment in their youth on the defensive line, and in particular Geno Atkins and Clinton McDonald, by releasing veteran Tank Johnson.more work to do