Huddle Up: Can Clausen take QB job back?
An abbreviated look at what’s going on around the NFL on Wednesday, Aug. 31:
• Cam Newton has the Panthers' QB job locked up, right? Don't tell that to Jimmy Clausen, who had a decent preseason and still has a shot at holding onto the quarterback position.
• Current Lions and ex-Bears wide receiver Rashied Davis can't believe that Chicago demoted Johnny Knox on its depth chart. Davis said that he thinks "the whole league is surprised" Roy Williams stole Knox's starting spot.
• Jets fifth-round pick Jeremy Kerley may not see many passes come his way this season, but Kerley could fill Brad Smith's departed spot as a weapon in the wildcat.
• Minnesota's facing a decision on backup linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who visited a hip specialist this week and could wind up on season-ending injured reserve.
• Could Alex Brown wind up back in Chicago? That's a possibility after the Saints cut loose the former Bears defensive end Tuesday.
• Jerome Boyd, undrafted out of Oregon in 2009, is in the midst of his third attempt to make the Raiders roster. He could finally be in line for his breakthrough, with Oakland coach Hue Jackson saying he's "impressed" with what Boyd brings to the table.
• The offensive line still looks like a major weak spot for a Seahawks team hoping to defend its division title. New offensive coordinator Tom Cable faces the challenge of getting the unit ready for Week 1.if they'll keep three quarterbacks