Huddle Up: Oakland's odd QB situation
An abbreviated look at what’s going on around the NFL on Monday, Sept. 5:
• With Terrelle Pryor ineligible to play or practice until after Week 6, the Raiders could find themselves in a tough situation if both starter Jason Campbell and Boller get banged up in the same game. Their No. 3 quarterback? Try punter Shane Lechler.
• The Patriots are already dealing with a rash of injuries on their offensive line. Enter veteran guard Brian Waters, who spent the past 11 seasons with the Chiefs. He figures to give New England some depth after signing over the weekend.
• Everyone knows about the big names on Detroit's defensive line -- Ndamukong Suh, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Cliff Avril, Nick Fairley. But relative-unknown Lawrence Jackson continues to produce when given an opportunity.
• For all intents and purposes, the Broncos' final 53-man roster spot came down to a choice between defensive backs David Bruton and Darcel McBath. Denver stuck with Bruton, whose role may increase now that the franchise has committed to him for the start of the 2011 season.
• If San Francisco wants rookie Aldon Smith to fully contribute right out of the gate, it may have to forget about asking him to drop back in coverage and simply allow Smith to utilize his ferocious pass-rushing abilities.Bills