McCoy speaks: Focus is on football, not pending case

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy (25) looks on during the first quarter of the AFC Wild Card playoff gamePhoto: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
Sports Xchange

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Bills running back LeSean McCoy spoke publicly for the first time since he was accused earlier in July of being involved with the robbery and beating of his former girlfriend, who was living in a house outside Atlanta owned by McCoy.

Of course, Buffalo’s best player didn’t say a whole lot about the potential legal difficulty he finds himself in.

“Right now, it’s an open investigation so I’ll leave it at that,” McCoy said Thursday prior to the Bills’ first training camp practice at St. John Fisher College. “Right now, my main focus is being here with my teammates, my team, trying to build together during camp to reach our goal together which is a championship.”

Police are still investigating what transpired on July 9 when an intruder entered the home McCoy owns and stole property, including jewelry, and beat up Delicia Cordon, McCoy’s ex-girlfriend. She had been living in the house with her two children, though McCoy has been trying to evict for several months.

A friend of Cordon’s posted a disturbing picture on Instagram of the woman’s badly beaten face, and accused McCoy of having played a role in the attack. That post was later taken down on the advice of the attorney Cordon retained. And since then, Cordon has said that while she at first thought McCoy may have sent the intruder to the house, she has backed off that statement.

McCoy denied involvement as soon as the post went viral.

With the investigation still ongoing, McCoy has surely been advised by his legal team to remain quiet, and that’s what he did Thursday. In fact, it was actually a bit surprising that he agreed to do the press conference.

Before McCoy spoke, general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott were grilled on the subject, but neither said anything substantive.

“It’s a situation that we take very seriously because of the nature of the situation,” said McDermott. “That said, we’ve done our part, looked into what we need to look into, and as an organization we feel we can move on at this time.”

Beane said the Bills have done their own investigation and they are satisfied enough to have allowed McCoy to report to training camp. The NFL is also looking into the matter, and as of now, there has been no news on its findings. There was speculation that McCoy might be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list, meaning he could not practice with the Bills or play in preseason games, but that has not happened.

“LeSean is here, we’re letting the investigators handle all that,” said Beane. “We’ve done our due diligence, it’s in their hands, and he’s ready to roll. We’ve talked to the NFL, we’ve done what we can do from our end, it’s in their hands. LeSean’s here, and it’s going to be about football.”

Comments

News

FEATURED
COMMUNITY