State of the Charger’s Defense: Gus Bradley Discusses Week One
Gus Bradley spoke before the media for the first time since camp commenced and he certainly looks excited about what he has been seeing from both veterans and rookies.
Here are some notes from Bradley's press conference:
- Expect Kyzir White to move around - at least through the preseason. He may be on the roster bubble because of a crowded linebacker room. So, Bradley is looking for ways to get him on the field.
- Nasir Adderley is making good progress. According to Bradley, Adderley has been making both good plays and ones "he's got to learn from...but more good than bad." Bradley specifically lauded Adderley's ability to cover ground at the free safety position.
- When asked who stood out to him today, Bradley chose Melvin Ingram. This is great sign. We expect Joey Bosa to dominate, but if Ingram steps up his game and has a great year, this pass rush will be fantastic. Bradley alluded to Ingram stepping up as a leader and tone-setter on the defense.
- Jerry Tillery is practicing, but in a limited fashion. Bradley expressed that Tillery is doing well and that they would increase his participation as doctors tell them.
- Rayshawn Jenkins came up twice in the press conference - most notably when discussing his role. Bradley admitted that they did not know what position Jenkins should play, but now he's down to 200 pounds and is locked into the free safety position. He will be battling in camp with rookie Nasir Adderley. Jenkins is believed to have the inside track at the position.
It was a relatively short one for Bradley, but he was engaged and seemed genuinely excited about his group of guys.