New York Giants safety Jabrill Peppers wasn't in much for a talkative mood when he met with reporters Wednesday.
But at one point throughout his one-liners, he channeled his inner Al Davis when he was asked if he expected and wanted to remain a member of the Giants.
"I just want to win, baby," he said. "I want to make plays, go out there and win ball games."
The question, of course, came as the November 2 NFL trade deadline approaches. Peppers, a player that last year rarely came off the field but who this year has seen a sharp reduction in his snaps, has had his name come up frequently as a possible trade candidate, a move that would see the Giants recoup half of his $6.77 million salary owed on the option year of his rookie deal.
Peppers certainly has a right to feel frustrated with how his season is going. For one, he's been seeing far more snaps in the slot 92 to 43 through the first six weeks of the season) and at wide corner (16 to 10), according to Pro Football Focus.
Logan Ryan Says Giants Need to Show This Trait if They Want to Be Playoff Bound
Giants defensive co-captain Logan Ryan believes the Giants can be playoff bound if they strive to be this kind of team moving forward.
New York Giants Week 13 Opponent First Look: Miami Offense
Let's get to know who's who on the Miami Dolphins Offense.
New York Giants QB Daniel Jones Reveals Why It's Important for Him to Be Out There
Giants quarterback Daniel Jones wants to be someone his teammates can count on to be there week in and week out.
Such deployment has led to Peppers not necessarily being deployed to his strength, which is as a downhill box safety and blitzer, though some of his struggles admittedly fall on the player himself.
Thus far in coverage, Peppers has no pass breakups or interceptions and has already given up one touchdown, per PFF. Last year through the first six weeks of the season, he had seven pass breakups, one interception, and had allowed two touchdowns.
But don't expect Peppers to make any speeches or grandstanding, as he's locked in on the present.
"I’m just motivated to play better and get this thing turned around," he said.
More from Giants Country
- Giants Head Coach Joe Judge Vows Things Will Get Better
- New York Giants Earn a Surprising Spot in MMQB’s Power Rankings
- Giants Start the Clock on Return for Two Rookies
- Why the Giants Need to Be Sellers with Trade Deadline Approaching
- Giants Place Andrew Thomas, C.J. Board on IR
- New York Giants Week 7 Opponent First Look: Carolina Panthers Offense
- New York Giants: Week 7 Storylines to Watch
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel