Houston Texans Head Coach Bill O'Brien was front and center for at the AFC Head Coaches media day on Tuesday at the NFL Owner's Meeting in Orlando, Florida. This was one of the more extensive discussions O'Brien has had with the media since he became the newest head coach of the Texans.
We highlighted a some interesting thoughts from O'Brien.
On the NFL Draft
- O'Brien feels that the top three quarterbacks (Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles) have not separated themselves from the other quarterbacks.
- Bill O'Brien has a strong opinion on Jadeveon Clowney.
On Clowney's Low Bench Press Numbers
“I wouldn’t say that with a guy like (Jadeveon) Clowney—I don’t think you base a large percentage of your decision on like what he benched. I think a large percentage is based on what type of guy he is. We had him at the combine for 15 minutes and now we’ll go to South Carolina, I think it’s April 2, to his pro day, we’ll go to that and get to know him a little bit better. You base a lot of it on that but also on what you see on tape.”
On Clowney's Work Ethic
“It’s a deal where I’ve studied him pretty closely. One of things and this is not to make and excuse for anyone, in college there’s like 85 to 90 plays per game. He plays all the time. I think if you looked at any player in college, especially at the defensive line spot, playing in a league where most of the teams are shotgun and throwing the ball and rushing the passer, I dare you to find me a guy that plays 90 snaps like his life’s on the line every game. But when the game’s on the line, Jadeveon plays hard. He’s an explosive player, he’s a productive player, he’s an instinctive player. So I think that’s kind of been blown out of proportion but at the same time we’ve got to make sure we get to know him and then keep getting to know him when we get there.”
- O'Brien felt that Teddy Bridgewater's Pro Day was "decent" and he said people made a "big deal" of Bridgewater's pro day.
- O'Brien thinks that Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack is an instinctive and explosive play maker. He also thinks he can play defensive end, outside or inside linebacker.
- Derek Carr has been spoken to extensively by the Texans scouting staff.
- O'Brien said he is looking for footwork, throwing motion and ball placement during pro days, and will be looking for that during Johnny Manziel's pro day. He also said there can be no final decisions made on prospects with no pass rush, throwing against air and the workout being scripted.
- During personal workouts on pro days, the Texans put every position on the board to talk football and watch game film with them to gauge their football knowledge.
- For the second day in a row, O'Brien has mentioned quarterback A.J. McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Savage.
- "All option are open" when it comes to the #1 overall pick for the Texans.
On Current Texans
- Case Keemun and T.J. Yates will be with the Texans when training camp opens. He pointed out this whole quarterback situation is about competition, and this includes newly signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- Arian Foster received high praise from O'Brien and was called the Texans three down back for the season. He has had three conversations with Foster and said he should be ready for the Texans mini-camps. Foster will be the guy the team is going to lean on during the season according to O'Brien.
- O'Brien said they need a two down back for the roster and compared that player to LeGarrette Blount. They will also be on the lookout for a third down back, and O'Brien tries to have his roster with those three type of backs.
- David Quessenberry was pointed out as one of the rookies that landed on the I.R. that the new staff is looking forward to getting on the field.
- J.J. Watt will be moving around in Romeo Crennel's defense. The Texans will run a base 3-4 defense and will also mix in three and four down lineman looks. O'Brien said, "He’s (Watt) going to fit in very well with what we do.”
- Ryan Fitzpatrick is considered a good fit for the Texans according to O'Brien. O'Brien described him as a good guy, good teammate and smart.
Quote of the Day from O'Brien
When Asked about Houston Fans worrying about Derek Carr becoming the face of the franchise.
“Believe me, when we’re thinking about who we’re drafting, we’re thinking about that individual person, not who his brother was or who his cousin is or who his mother was. The fans in Houston are awesome and they’re a big part of what we’re doing but if we started asking the fans about who we should draft, I’ll be sitting next to you at the next game. We try to look at who the individual guy is and Derek Carr is another guy on that list of quarterbacks that I was saying that’s a good football player. He’s a had a productive college career.”