The final preseason game is upon the Houston Texans, with the regular season just around the corner. The Texans are traveling to AT&T Stadium to take on the Dallas Cowboys for what will be the end of the road for at least 22 Texans players.
This becomes the hard part, seeing players who have been chasing their dreams come up short. There is that small portion who defy the odds and make an NFL team. The Texans have put together an impressive young group (UDFAs) that could be taking some jobs on the 53 man roster.
What to Watch
- Willie Jefferson and A.J. Bouye have the opportunity of a lifetime to lock up their spots waiting for them on the 53 man roster. Both undrafted rookies have made positive impressions since the start of rookie mini camp, and now it comes to the final preseason game. They have performed well in their previous three preseason games and both could help the team when the 2013 season kicks off. Their journey to this point has not been easy, but it is theirs to lose.
- Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams and Chris Jones are the draftedrookies trying to find their spot on this team. Injuries and lack of production have been culprits in their short time with the Texans, and it could possibly lead to them being cut. The Texans do not like giving up on draft picks early, so it will be interesting to see what the Texans do with players who started with so much potential at the start of training camp.
- Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant and Cameron Collins are all players who were on the 53 man roster last season and made an appearance on the field at one point of the 2012 season. They are now fighting for their roster lives to stay with the Texans and the Dallas game becomes important for them to try to make a positive impression. Carmichael is probably the one that is in the most danger of possibly not making the team.
- Antonio Smith's suspension for week one could play a small part in building the roster heading into week one. It is hard to imagine the Texans only going to San Diego with three healthy defensive ends, where one injury could make the defensive line thin in terms of depth. Defensive end could be a position where the Texans keep an extra player for at least one week before Smith's return.
- Is the third running back on the roster now Deji Karim, Cierre Wood or Dennis Johnson? The Texans have three players who are relatively roster fillers and special teams play has been a deciding factor. Karim has been on special teams but has not been an eye opener. As for Wood, he hasn't been called upon to play that much on teams play,while Johnson has made some poor choices in returning punts and kicks. The three overall have been underwhelming and this could be a time for the Texans to really start thinking about what they truly want in the third running back position.
- One player who we feel is on the bubble and that no one is addressing is Bryan Braman. He has been the only real bright spot on a below average special teams unit the past two seasons. Braman showed up at the right time and fit into the Texans plans, but he has been a liability on defense. There is a fine line for the young outside linebacker group and Braman is tapped in terms of potential when it comes to defense. Braman could be a roster spot for one of the rookies on the team because, in the NFL, youth usually gets taken over the veteran. The Texans need help at outside linebacker and Braman at one point was passed up by three rookies during training camp. He is a fan favorite but his lack of production on defense should not be ignored.
- The Governor's Cup goes to the winning team and this is the first meeting between the two teams since 2010. The Cowboys lead the Governor's Cup 5-4 over the Texans. The Cowboys lead 2-1 in regular season and are tied 3-3 in the preseason.