Here are a few notes from the Texans Mini-Camp on Wednesday:
Texans Mini-Camp Day 2
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak voiced his concern over a sluggish practice today. He felt like the team was saving themselves for the last day of mini-camp and called today a loss if they were playing.
- Rookie defensive end Jared Crick did not finish practice today due to heat related issues.
- Rookie guard Brandon Brooks weighed in less than his Tuesday weight. Kubiak explained that he (Brooks) has to stay on top of his weight because it will affect him from a performance stand point.
- As of now, rookie outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus is working on the special teams units (punt team) to go along with learning his new position of outside linebacker. Mercilus has also said his contract situation doesn't bother him because he knows it is going to get done.
- Kubiak said he heard Morran Norris on one of the local sports talk shows on his drive home and liked what he heard out of Morris on the radio. He called General Manager Rick Smith and told him they needed to bring Norris in for a tryout and both have been impressed with what they have seen the past couple days.
- Norris talks about his goal to stay in his hometown and do everything possible to get his second shot with the Texans. He knows he is behind and is trying to learn the playbook as fast as he can.
- Trindon Holliday thinks his concentration level has gone up since coming to Houston and know he has to do everything he can to become reliable on the field.
- Offensive tackle Derek Newton talked about his chances for the starting right tackle position. He explained that he just needs to worry about himself and correct his mistakes everyday.
- Also there seems to be some issues for Kubiak concerning James Casey because he is using Casey for two positions (Fullback and Tightend). Kubiak wants a reliable thumping fullback or a big bodied tightend. Expect a decision to be made on this in the coming weeks.
- There seems to be little separation from the young wide receivers on the field. Kubiak sees some good things but not enough consistency from the young receivers. DeVier Posey is showing that missing a season of football has put him behind but seems to be quick to correct his mistakes. The sky is the limit, talent wise, and the Texans coaching staff is doing what they can to get him caught up before camp hits.
- The Texans will make a decision on veteran wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker next week on whether he will be with the team going into training camp.