Texans Training Camp: Another Scare
Patrick D. Starr
Full pads were on for the 6th day of camp and the Houston Texans did receive a scare to one of their star players.
- Duane Brown, starting left tackle, got kicked on his left ankle when he got rolled up from behind. Brown played two plays after the incident but couldn't continue. After evaluation they shut him down for the day and he headed in for an MRI. The MRI came back negative and was only deemed a bone bruise. He has been listed as day-to-day. Rashad Butler will fill in at the left tackle position until Brown comes back.
- Andre Johnson did some running early this morning in practice, he ran with no noticeable discomfort to his injured groin.
- Quarterback Case Keenum looked the best he has all camp. He impressed with his ability to avoid the pass rush. When the pocket collapsed, he out ran the defensive end to the corner and turned it into a big run. He also looked good throwing the football, but didn't get much help from his wide receivers with some dropped passes.
- We wouldn't read too much into rookie wide receiver running Keshawn Martin running plays with the first team offense. He does look very comfortable in that role, and did have a nice connection with Matt Schaub on cornerback Johnathan Joseph. Lestar Jean has also run with the first offense in Johnson's absence.
- Kareem Jackson, ThomasAustin, and Greg Williams did not practice today.
-Inside Linebacker Mister Alexander showed some life in full pads. He was very active and, despite not looking like the prototypical linebacker, he has some good speed and quickness. His snaps have increased with Sharpton's injury and he is taking advantage. Alexander shined in week 17 last season when he had some extended time on the field and his confidence looks to be rising as camp continues.
- Fullback Derrell Smith has improved since day one of camp. The converted linebacker cleared some holes for an Arian Foster touchdown run,and caught a touchdown pass out of the backfield from Schaub. He needs some more time on the field but Smith is clearly showing he in understanding the position.
- Bryan Braman finally showed some flashes of what the coaching staff has been waiting on. He laid a big hit on Ben Tate on a running play when he tried to hurdle the pile. Braman has to show he can contribute on defense and he started in the right direction, and looks right now to be the 4th outside linebacker in the rotation.
- James Casey and T.J. Yates look like they are a lethal combination in the passing game, and Casey is Yates' favorite target.
- Randy Bullock did the majority of the kicking on the field today, he hit all of his attempts with plenty of room to spare.
- Rookies Delano Johnson, Rennie Moore and D.J. Bryant were all over the quarterback in today's afternoon session. They were rushing off the edge and provided a real athletic group on the field. They are three players to watch heading into the first preseason game.