Saturday's practice for the Washington Football Team was inside the practice bubble and because of that reporters are not allowed to be on site. All information is via a team issued pool report.
The big news is Alex Smith returning to full team drills (the team was in shells and helmets only) for the first time since November 16, 2018.
Smith did not participate in full 11-on-11 drills for the entire practice but it's still a significant step in his Project 11 recovery.
Per the report, Smith's entry to team drills came in the red zone and after Dwayne Haskins but before Kyle Allen. Per the report, "Smith handed the ball off twice and had a 5-yard check down to McKissic."
He did not participate in the final three team periods, so he's expected to gradually amp up his work this week according to Ron Rivera.
In the final team period (12), dubbed the "move the ball" part of practice, Dwayne Haskins was 3-for-3 on his first series with 15-yard completions to Terry McLaurin over the middle.
Adrian Peterson had a rushing touchdown to end that drive against a first team defensive line that featured Chase Young, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen and Montez Sweat.
Kyle Allen had a deep pass broken up by Aaron Colvin, who has had a fairly active camp.
Ruben Foster is getting some reps at second-team linebacker after being worked with the third team for a while as he reacclimated.
Period 11 – 11-on-11 Team
Same starting offense and defense as previous period
- Dwayne Haskins Jr. 20-yard completion to Logan Thomas over the middle
- Haskins Jr. 10-yard completion to Sims Jr. across the middle
- Haskins Jr. under pressure fires a ball to Inman and Darby has a nice pass break up
- Second team defense forces three consecutive incompletions
- Kerrigan and Anderson are the first rotations in on defense
- Kyle Allen runs the second team offense with Isaiah Wright, Trey Quinn, Antonio Gibson and Marcus Baugh
- Second team offensive line features (LT Lucas, LG Martin, C Ismael, RG Pierschbacher and RT Parris)
- Deshazor Everett and Sean Davis are the second team safeties
- Alex Smith and Steven Montez did not see action in this period.
Period 10 – 11-on-11 Blitz
Same starting offense as previous period except Antonio Gibson subbed in for Peterson as the first team RB
Same starting defense as previous period (Young and Sweat starting edge)
- Daron Payne had a sack on Haskins Jr.
- Holcomb had a diving pass break up over the middle on Trey Quinn
- Steven Montez scramble outside of the pocket for a 15-yard gain
- Kyle Allen 15-yard completion to Cam Sims on the right sideline
- Kyle Allen 10-yard completion through two defenders to Trey Quinn
- Kyle Allen was the second quarterback in after Haskins
- Steven Montez came in after Allen (Montez’s first action of the day in team portions)
- Alex Smith did not see action in this period
Period 8 – Special Teams
Trey Quinn is the first punt returner
Steven Sims Jr. subs in second
Isaiah Wright subs in third
Period 7 – Team Red Zone
Same starting offense as previous two team drills
Same starting defense as previous two team drills other than two changes:
- Chase Young in for Kerrigan
- Jonathan Allen in for Ioannidis
- Jimmy Moreland with a nice pass break up in the left corner of the end zone on Dontrelle Inman
- Adrian Peterson had a 15-yard touchdown run with great blocking against the first team defense
- Smith handed the ball off twice and had a 5-yard check down to McKissic
- Haskins under pressure, fired a touchdown pass over the middle to Logan Thomas
- Matt Ioannidis with a sack on Kyle Allen
- Alex Smith played QB for second team
- Kerrigan and Anderson played edge on second team
- Sean Davis came in at safety on second team
- Trey Quinn and Isaiah Wright were second team WRs
- Foster and Holcomb were second team LBs
- Haskins came in with the 1’s again after Smith’s work
- Kyle Allen came in for the snaps following Haskins’ second set of plays
Period 6 – Special Teams Kickoff
Steven Sims Jr. is the primary kickoff returner to start
Antonio Gibson is the next returner in after Sims Jr.
Darvin Kidsy Jr. is the returner in after Gibson
Period 5 – 9 on 9 Pass
Same starting offense and defense as previous period.
- Dwayne Haskins touchdown pass to Antonio Gibson on screen pass.
- Ronald Darby with a nice pass break up in the end zone on Terry McLaurin
- Alex Smith scrambled out and rushed for five yards
- Smith had a check down to McKissic for 10 yards
- Kyle Allen red zone touchdown pass to Isaiah Wright in the left corner of the end zone
- Kyle Allen red zone touchdown pass to Peyton Barber coming out of the back field
- Alex Smith was the second quarterback to rotate in after Haskins
- Haskins Jr. came back in for Smith
- Kyle Allen came in after Haskins second appearance
- Offense scored three touchdowns on 15 total plays.
- Two pass breakups by the defense in the end zone (Darby on McLaurin & Stroman on Inman)
Period 4 – 9 on 7
- Chase Young and Jonathan Allen were the first rotations in on the defensive line. Ryan Anderson also rotated in on the edge
- Gibson was the first rotation in at running back
- Kyle Allen was the first rotation in at quarterback about halfway through the period
- Majority run plays
- Fabian Moreau took part in individuals and is now working off to the side
Stretch, Individual Position and Individual Group Periods
Not at practice:
WR #10 Antonio Gandy Golden
CB #24 Ryan Lewis
Working off to the side:
WR #14 Jordan Veasy
LB #45 Donald Payne
DE #54 Nate Orchard
G #69 Mike Liedtke
T #77 Saahdiq Charles
Veteran off day:
CB #29 Kendall Fuller
LB #58 Thomas Davis Sr.
Chris Russell is the Publisher of this site, a part of SI.com. He can be heard on 106.7 The FAN in the Washington D.C. area and world-wide on Radio.com. Chris also hosts the "Locked on Washington Football Team" Podcast and can be read via subscription to Warpath Magazine. You can e-mail Chris at russellmania09@Gmail.com or follow him on Twitter at @Russellmania621