The Washington Redskins will be trying to avoid their seventh 0-5 start in franchise history and their first since 2001. The New England Patriots will be trying to claim their fifth 5-0 start and first since 2015. Every four years, the NFC and AFC East teams meet up, and if it feels like the last four rotations across the 2000s have been one-sided they certainly have in terms of overall team strength.
Surprisingly though, Patriots coach Bill Belichick is just 3-2 against Washington in his career. History is history, though, and the two teams could not be further apart. In expected points differential, our favorite metric to measure team quality, New England sits atop the totem pole, with Washington last among the 31 franchises not purposely trying to lose every game.
Some interesting facts about the this year's version of the two teams:
New England Patriots
• PATRIOTS joined 2012 Chicago Bears as only teams since 2000 with 15+ sacks (18) & 10+ INTs (10) through 4 games.
• QB TOM BRADY passed for 150 yards last week. Has 2+ pass TDs & 100+ rating in 4 of past 5. Aims for 4th in row vs. Was. with 295+ pass yards, 2+ pass TDs & 95+ rating.
• RB SONY MICHEL led team with 63 rush yards last week. Has rush TD in 2 of past 3. RB JAMES WHITE had teamhigh 8 catches for 57 yards in Week 4. Aims for 4th in row vs. NFC with 95+ scrimmage yards. Since 2015, leads all RBs in receptions (259), rec. yards (2,273) & rec. TDs (20). RB BRANDON BOLDEN had 9th career rush TD last week.
• WR JULIAN EDELMAN had 5 catches for 55 yards & TD in last meeting. Has TD catch in 2 of past 3 vs. NFC East. WR JOSH GORDON had 46 rec. yards last week. Has 7 catches for 135 yards (67.5 per game) & 2 TDs in 2 career road games vs. NFC East.
• S DEVIN MCCOURTY aims for 5th in row with INT. 1st player in NE history with INT in each of team’s 1st 4 games of season. CB J.C. JACKSON had 2 INTs & blocked punt last week, 1st player since 1989 (ERIK MCMILLAN) with 2+ INTs & blocked punt in single game. Aims for 4th in row on road with PD. LB JAMIE COLLINS had sack & INT last week. Aims for 3rd in row with sack & PD. Only player in NFL with 3+ sacks (3.5) & 3+ INTs (3) in 2019. LB KYLE VAN NOY had team-high 8 tackles & 2 sacks & career-high 2 FFs in Week 4.
• QB CASE KEENUM had 272 pass yards & rush TD in only career game vs. NE (12/1/13 with Hou.). Has 270+ pass yards in 3 of his 4 career starts vs. AFC East. Rookie QB DWAYNE HASKINS had 107 pass yards & 23 rush yards in NFL debut last week.
• RB ADRIAN PETERSON has 168 scrimmage yards (84 per game) & rush TD in 2 career games vs. NE. Aims for his 6th in row vs. AFC with 50+ scrimmage yards. Ranks 5th in NFL history with 107 rush TDs & 8th in rush yards (13,408). RB CHRIS THOMPSON led team with 56 rec. yards last week. Is 1 of 2 RBs (AUSTIN EKELER) with 4+ catches in each of team’s 1st 4 games of 2019.
• WR PAUL RICHARDSON aims for his 3rd in row at home with TD catch. Has 4 rec. TDs in his past 5 at home. Rookie TERRY MCLAURIN leads all rookies with 3 rec. TDs & ranks 2nd in rec. yards (257) & receptions (16).
• LB RYAN KERRIGAN has 1.5 sacks, FF & PD in his past 2 at home vs. AFC East. Is 1 of 2 players (J.J. WATT) with 80+ sacks (85.5), 20+ FFs (25) & 20+ PD (23) since 2011. S LANDON COLLINS has 3 PD & FF in 4 career games vs. AFC East. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with Was. with 8+ tackles. S MONTAE NICHOLSON had 1st career FR last week. CB QUINTON DUNBAR had career-high 2 INTs & 2 PD last week, his 9th career game with 2+ PD. Rookie LB COLE HOLCOMB had 1st career FF in Week 4.
New England Patriots (4-0) vs. Washington Redskins (0-4)
1:00 P.M. ET, Sunday, October 6, 2019
FedEx Field - Landover, MD.
Referee: Clay Martin
Wagering Information (Current as of 3:00 pm 10/3/19)
Against the Spread in 2019: Redskins 1-3; Patriots 2-2
- Washington's games have hit the over 3 of 4 times.
- Patriots' games have hit the over 1 of 4 times.
FuboTV (system must see you as being local to DC or New England market)
Home Redskins: 225 (streaming 831)
Away Patriots: streaming 820
WMAL 105.9FM / 630AM
- NFL EPA Rankings, Red-Zone Efficiency, Explosive Plays for Week 5 (Link)
- Gauging if Pats defense is historic or opportunistic (Link)
- The rough history of head coaches under Dan Snyder's rule (Link)
- ESPN's Stephen A. Smith claims inside scoop on Gruden's expiration date (Link)
- NFC East race tighten: Expected Points Week 4 Review, Week 5 Preview (Link)