A source “close to Patrick Kane” says the Blackhawks have not asked him about accepting a trade.

By Allan Muir
September 03, 2015

A report out of Chicago suggests the Blackhawks have not asked Patrick Kane whether he would be willing to waive his no-movement clause in order for them to trade him. The troubled forward remains under investigation for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman at his home in Hamburg, New York. No charges have been filed against him.

The report cites a source “close to Kane” as having provided the information.

NHL
What to make of the reported interest in a trade for Patrick Kane

Kane, 26, signed an eight-year, $84 million contract extension with the Blackhawks last summer that kicks in with the 2015-16 season. The deal features a no-movement clause, which prevents the Hawks from trading, demoting or waiving him without his consent.

Although Kane’s case is unique due to the allegations against him, it is the industry standard that a player with this kind of clause would be informed before his services were put in play.

A report that at least five teams had contacted the Hawks about Kane’s availability surfaced earlier this week, although there has been no public indication that the Blackhawks have any inclination to sever ties with him. Kane scored 23 points in 23 games to help lead the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup last June. It was their third championship in six years and he remains a key figure in their future plans. However, according to a story by Mark Lazerus in the Chicago Sun-Times, a team source has said that the image-conscious Blackhawks organization feels “disrespected” by Kane’s off-ice misadventures and was less than thrilled when he told the crowd at this year’s Stanley Cup parade, “I know you said I’ve been growing up, but watch out for me the next week."

Stay tuned.

• Kane rape investigation could take months

You May Like