By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Did you miss Patrick Kane on Letterman last night? Kukla's Korner has the video. Brilliant throwaway line from Dave about Kaner taking the Cup to a Jimmy Buffett concert. The guy's still got it.
• Chicago GM Stan Bowman says he is hopeful the he can re-sign Bryan Bickell this summer. Also hopeful that entire Red Wedding sequence was just a dream.
• This is one of those things you wish could have worked out another way: Andrew Ference is done in Boston.
• Hockey Canada is retooling its management to address recent failures on the world stage. Unless the job description of newcomer Sean Burke involves convincing goalies from other countries to get a Canadian passport, I'm guessing that this is more of a long-term project.
• Good news for Letang: Not everyone is convinced that Paul Martin is Pittsburgh's best defenseman.
• Here is Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts column for the week. Seems like he's doing a lot of thinking about Alain Vigneault in New York.
• Jonas Siegel has an in-depth look at the drafting process of the Maple Leafs. It's pretty good, but he leaves out the part about the darts.
• Kevin Allen writes that Jones is one of a kind.
• Um, Bryz? Not sure that trolling an NHL owner by thanking him for securing your family's financial future is a smart idea for a guy hoping to play in this league again. Unless...
• Calgary GM Jay Feaster really wants to move up in the draft.
• Harrison Mooney honors the unsung heroes of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
• Sounds like some changes are coming to the bottom end of Detroit's forward corps.Dustin Penner and he will call you out.