Top Line: Daniel Alfredsson's free agency; Gretzky a Leaf?; more links
By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Ken Campbell explains how the PHWA voting blunder nearly cost Taylor Hall a million bucks. This needs to be read by every association member before they're allowed to vote again.
• When Daniel Alfredsson said he was coming back this season, he didn't say he was coming back to the Senators. The veteran forward is being courted by several teams and it's not inconceivable he could finish his career elsewhere.
• If he does, it's a public relations disaster for Ottawa. That's why the Senators have to do whatever it takes to get Alfie under contract.
• Is Wayne Gretzky about to become a Maple Leaf?
• The new owners of the Coyotes know they can't run the team on a shoestring budget and expect to win back the faith of the Phoenix market.
• Rick DiPietro is disappointed he won't be part of the coming success on Long Island after being bought out yesterday by New York. I'm guessing those trips to the bank when he discovers money in his account for no apparent reason will help him get over those feelings eventually.
• Everyone, including Nathan Gerbe, was surprised when the Sabres used a compliance buyout to cut ties with the veteran forward. He's been pretty useless these past two years, but that $1.45 million cap hit was hardly strangling the team.
• The mayor of Quebec City remains positive that his town will eventually get an NHL team.
• Tim Wharnsby lists his 10 most intriguing free agents. Gotta say, No. 10 is a bit of a shocker.
• John Tortorella is bringing in a good cop and a bad cop to assist him behind the bench in Vancouver. Try to guess which one's which!
• Here's a look at what the Canucks need to do in free agency.
• Here's what to expect from the Winnipeg Jets in free agency this weekend.
• After three seasons in the Swedish Elite League, this 2011 first rounder is ready to make the jump to the NHL.
• Stuff like this is why I think the Edmonton Journal might be the best hockey section in the land. Where else are you going to find a detailed breakdown quite like this?the 31st best coaching job in hockey