Top Line: Anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky trade, more news links
By John Rolfe
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• It's been 25 years to the day that Wayne Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles and the great big deal still resonates. Here's a cool interactive that somehow enables you to connect the dots between the Great One and ... Gilbert Brule?
• Berger Bytes cobbled together a nice compilation of front pages that captured that epic day as well as major moments from the Great One's career. The CBC put together a video on how the deal came together, and if you haven't seen it, TSN had some fun with the day's events, particularly the original auto-tuned remix of "I promised Mess."
• The Colorado Avalanche are the focus of today's installment of 30 in 30 on NHL.com: notable new coach, new division, and a pretty nice stockpile of young talent. The big questions are behind the bench and in net.
• Over at Kukla's Korner, George Malik has a Red Wings round-up that includes an interview with Henrik Zetterberg (he's gearing up for his fourth Olympics) and the cap squeeze confronting GM Ken Holland.
• The dreaded exodus of Russian players to the KHL continues. This time it's ex-Jet Nik Antropov waving farewell.
• Summertime and the livin' ain't easy if you're a junior player, according to Justin Bourne.
• Grantland presents 15 things that should always remain the same in the NHL. Too bad Rick Jeanneret, the Sabres' great play-by-play man won't be plying his considerable trade beyond the 2015-16 season.crowd of 10,000 showed up the glory that is the old shaving mug