Top Line: "Classless" Patrick Roy irks Ducks in debut; more links
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Patrick Roy needs to learn a few lessons about class after the two clashed during the Hall of Fame goalie's first game behind the Avalanche bench. Looks like Patty's hoping to set a tone early in Denver.
• I'm not sure that Mark Kiszla understands the importance of William and Kate to the English, but he does get what Roy and Joe Sakic bring to Denver. The new era of hockey in Colorado got off to a strong start last night, with the home team smoking Anaheim 6-1.
• Goalie Jonathan Bernier looked terrific in his debut with the Maple Leafs. Damien Cox writes that Bernier's performance in Toronto's 3-1 win over the Flyers was reminiscent of the type of controlled play that Ed Belfour used to deliver while wearing the blue and white.
• The impact of the U.S. government shutdown just reached hockey.
• You will fear for the long-term health of George Malik as you gaze upon his comprehensive overview of last night's game between the Red Wings and the Sabres.
• You don't see this every day in Buffalo. Oh, wait. Yeah, you do.
• GMs Steve Yzerman, Jim Rutherford and Ray Shero all spoke out against fighting yesterday morning. By the evening, Scotty Bowman had lent his voice to the cause.
• Their point was countered by Georges Laraque, Chris Nilan and Nick Kypreos.
• Jeff Blair argues that both sides should save their breath. The NHL is a lost cause for anti-fighting advocates.
• The soap opera didn't end in Vancouver when the Canucks traded Cory Schneider. In fact, it's about to escalate, with a tarnished hero called back to duty and a villainous new presence behind the bench.
• Did a nominee for Canada's Supreme Court torpedo his chances to wear the ermine robe by lying about being drafted by Detroit?
• Jason Karmanos hasn't spoken to his dad, Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos, since he was sacked as Carolina's executive VP and assistant GM last month. I smell a very special Dr. Phil episode coming up.
• Mike Russo has some great stuff here on the private life of Minnesota defenseman Ryan Suter.
• Wait . . . the NHL implemented another ill-conceived rule change? This one's not as bad as the jersey tuck . . . unless it's your game that the new rule is screwing up.
• You don't have to speak the language to understand which players are ranked among the dirtiest in hockey by the league's top Swedish players. Any guesses on who Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson named in this video?Jets a collision with a moose