By Allan Muir
An annotated guide to this morning's must-read hockey stories:
• Jonathan Quick isn't the first NHL goalie to inadvertently direct a puck into his own net, but it's hard to imagine anyone has ever done it in such spectacular fashion. This may be the greatest/worst own goal in NHL history.
• Hey, at least this gaffe didn't happen in the playoffs.
• Is this the dirtiest player in the NHL?
• Ok, so maybe comparing him to Doug Gilmour was a little overly enthusiastic, but Don Cherry and the Leafs both see more potential in Dave Bolland than he's shown to this point.
• Let's see what's on the schedule tonight ... hmmm, New Jersey at Vancouver, an East/West match-up we haven't see in a couple of years. If only there was some kind of interesting sub-plot, you know, to spice it up a bit.
• There's always room for improvement, even if you're the defending Stanley Cup champs. The Hawks have been concentrating on the power play, and it's beginning to pay off.
• "Anything I can do to help the sport of hockey grow," Seth Jones said. "Whether it’s with white people or black people, it doesn’t matter. I’m happy to do it."
• Joel Ward credits Karl Alzner's singing with helping him survive the traumatic ordeal of being trapped in a Dallas bathroom stall. Surely, his courage in the face of such adversity will inspire a generation.
• This is the actual curve used by Ryan O'Reilly. And yes, it is legal.
• Despite what coaches tell you, it doesn't take a 60-minute effort to win games in the NHL. A gritty third period and the return of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins were plenty for the Oilers to claim their first of the season.
• Lindy Ruff hasn't gotten over the passive response of his old team after watching goaltender Ryan Miller being trampled by Milan Lucic. He's let the Dallas Stars know that anyone messing with Kari Lehtonen needs to be held accountable by every man on the ice.
• A month ago, the smart money had Matt Niskanen being dealt to ensure the Pens could limbo under the season-opening salary cap bar. A couple injuries later and Nisky isn't just playing a key role, he's actually leading Pittsburgh in scoring.Czech Olympic jerseys