March Madness is already in full swing on the court, and it's about to get a crazier with hockey version ready to go on ice.
Sunday afternoon, the NCAA selection committee announced seeds and regional placements for 16 men's hockey teams, which Adam Wodon of College Hockey News notes was not a difficult task this season.
Last year's champion Yale did not make the tournament, but exposed the possibility that anything can truly happen, as the Bulldogs became the lowest-seeded team to take the whole shebang. Traditional powers Boston College and Minnesota look to add to their trophy cases, while sixteenth-seeded Robert Morris will make its first appearance in the NCAA postseason in just its 10th season as a Division I program. The field will be whittled down to four before heading the Philadelphia, where the Frozen Four will take place beginning on April 10, with the final two days later.
The brackets with full seeding are as follows:
West Regional (St. Paul, Minn.)
1. Minnesota vs. 16. Robert Morris, 5:30 p.m., ESPN2
8. Notre Dame vs. 9. St. Cloud State, 9 p.m., ESPNU
Final: 7:30 p.m., ESPNU
Northeast Regional (Worcester, Mass.)
2. Boston College vs. 15. Denver, 4 p.m., ESPN-U
7. Mass.-Lowell vs. 10. Minnesota State, 7:30 p.m. ESPN3
Final: 5 p.m., ESPN-U
East Regional (Bridgeport, Conn.)
3. Union vs. 13. Vermont, 2 p.m., ESPN-U
6. Quinnipiac vs. 11. Providence, 5:30 p.m., ESPN-U
Final: 3 p.m., ESPN2
Midwest Regional (Cincinnati)
4. Wisconsin vs. 14. North Dakota, 4:30 p.m., ESPN3
5. Ferris State vs. 12. Colgate, 8 p.m., ESPN-U
Final: 6:30 p.m., ESPN-UClick here here