Interpol has issued a "red notice" for six men linked to the FIFA corruption investigation, which led to the indictment of 14 men and the resignation of FIFA president Sepp Blatter
Interpol issued a “red notice” on Wednesday for two former FIFA officials and four corporate executives for charges including racketeering, conspiracy and corruption.
The international police organization added the six men to its most-wanted list, meaning they can be arrested at any time, anywhere in the world.
The Red Notice is not an arrest warrant, and countries around the world can use discretion when deciding to make arrests.
Jack Warner, a former FIFA vice president and CONCACAF president; Nicolás Leoz, a former FIFA executive committee member and CONMEBOL president; Alejandro Burzaco, an Argentine national, Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis, who are accused of paying millions of dollars in bribes for media and commercial rights to international soccer tournaments and José Margulies, a Brazilian broadcast executive, were listed on the “red notice.”
Warner and Leoz have already been arrested in their home counties. Warner was released and says he is innocent, and Leoz is currently under house arrest in Paraguay.
All six men were indicted last week on corruption charges by the United States Justice Department, accused of decades of "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption by members of world soccer's governing body, who took close to $150 million in bribes. Authorities also charged Margulies with being an intermediary who facilitated illegal payments.
The corruption scandal led to the resignation of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who said that FIFA needed a “profound restructuring.”
Blatter is reportedly the target of a federal corruption investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and U.S. prosecutors.
- Scooby Axson