Report: New York Red Bulls to sell Matt Miazga to Chelsea

Wednesday January 27th, 2016

The New York Red Bulls are reportedly on the verge of another major transfer of a young American to Europe.

Center back Matt Miazga is on his way to Chelsea, according to ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle. The 20-year-old U.S. men's national team center back is reportedly going to be sold within the next day to the EPL side, joining the likes of Jozy Altidore, Tim Howard and Tim Ream as American prospects headed to Europe by way of the Red Bulls franchise. According to the Daily Mail, Chelsea will pay a $5 million fee for Miazga's transfer.

Miazga holds a Polish passport, so obtaining a U.K. work permit will not be a hurdle, as has been in the past for other Americans attempting to play in England. Despite his Polish ties, Miazga is cap-tied to the U.S. because he appeared in a World Cup qualifying match in November. 

Miazga was a revelation for the Red Bulls during their Supporters' Shield-winning season in 2015, anchoring Jesse Marsch's defense, which was the stingiest in the Eastern Conference. The 6'3" New Jersey native appeared in 26 regular season games for New York, starting 24 in his third professional season, but his first as a key contributor. He also started all four of the Red Bulls' playoff games. 

As a result of Miazga being a Homegrown Player, the Red Bulls are entitled to 75% of the transfer fee (MLS gets the remaining 25%), as opposed to the standard two-thirds.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide — from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Grant Wahl, Andy Staples and more — delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.