Behind the MLS Ambition Rankings: Montreal Impact
• How much money has your team spent in the past five years on youth development? How much in the past year?
Our owner is investing $1.5 million a year in youth development in the Academy system and another $12 million for a dedicated training facility to house all youth teams and the first team.
• How many homegrown players have you signed? How many have played in MLS league games for your first team?
- Karl W. Ouimette (now with New York Red Bulls) – 20 games, 15 starts
- Wandrille Lefèvre – 32 games, 28 starts
- Maxim Tissot – 37 games, 17 starts
- Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé – 7 games, 3 starts
- Anthony Jackson-Hamel – 12 games, 1 start
- Louis Béland-Goyette – 1 game, 0 start
- Maxime Crépeau – 0 games
- Zakaria Messoudi – 0 games
• Who pays to play on your youth teams? And how much do they pay?
At the U-23 level (FC Montreal), players are professional, have contracts and are paid for their services. Any player selected by the Academy (U-13 – U-23) does not pay, the club takes charge of all expenses. There is a minor registration fee for the U-13 and U-14 players to cover administrative expenses. At the Pre-Academy level (U-8 –U-12), players have a one-time registration fee for the entire year (indoor and outdoor) including tournaments and special events (BBQ’s, activities, etc).
• How many season-ticket holders do you have? How many did you have in 2015?
We now have more than 8,500 tickets holders. We got our best renewal rate with 91% of season tickets holders who renewed for 2016. We have more than 2,500 new season tickets so far this year.
• Where does your first team train? Did you build the training facility yourself? If so, how much did it cost?
The Montreal Impact is now occupying since the 2015 season its new training center near Stade Saputo, on Notre-Dame Street, at the historic Caserne Letourneux.
Through a unique partnership with the Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve borough, the Academy and the first team are now installed permanently in this location, sharing two natural grass fields and two artificial grass fields. The club is fully covering the entire $12 million investment.
• Do you have a model for integrating your academy with the first team? How closely do your academy teams resemble the way the first team trains and plays?
They work very closely together.
• What’s your philosophy on the use of technology in your training and preparation for matches?
It’s important. The staff uses match analysis and MyCoach.
• Who is your jersey sponsor? What’s your total income on sponsorships this season?
BMO. We’re not disclosing the income publicly.
• Local TV deal: How many of your games this season are shown on local television? How much is your local TV deal worth per season?
21 games are broadcast on TVA Sports. It’s the last year of a deal with Videotron, our telecoms partner.
• Local radio deal: How many of your games this season are broadcast on local radio? In English? In other languages?
All 34 games are broadcast on English Radio (TSN 690). We’ll also have a minimum of 21 games broadcast on French radio (98.5 FM).
• How many front-office employees does your team have? How many have you added or subtracted in the past year?
Approximately 120 full-time employees, including the technical staff, the Academy and the soccer schools.
• Have you hired any additional technical staff over the past year to reduce doubling-up roles? Are you planning on expanding your technical staff in the near future?
Not short term.