Barcelona claims it has won its appeal over Neymar's transfer case

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Barcelona says a local court has accepted an appeal by club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and predecessor Sandro Rosell in a case involving alleged irregularities around Neymar's transfer in 2013.

The club says the ruling means Barcelona and the presidents are no longer defendants in the case involving the Brazilian striker.

The club said in a statement on Thursday that new charges would have to be brought up in Barcelona for the case against them to continue.

A Brazilian investment group has claimed it was financially damaged because Barcelona and Neymar allegedly withheld the real amount of the player's transfer fee from Brazilian club Santos.

Neymar and his father appeared before a court last month and maintained their innocence.

The case has been transferred from a Madrid court to Barcelona.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.