Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has been sacked after less than a year with the team.

By SI Wire
March 11, 2016

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has been sacked, reports the BBC.

McClaren had been with the team for less than a year after signing a three-year contract in June, but the club has gone 6–22 in Premier League matchups under his watch.

“After the defeat to Bournemouth on Saturday, the club has spent some time considering its position and has today concluded that Steve McClaren’s employment with the club will end with immediate effect,” the team said in a statement.

Newcastle lost its third consecutive match on Saturday and stands second-to-last in the Premier League table. 

Watch: David De Gea makes unbelievable save on Coutinho

Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley said in a statement that an announcement of McClaren’s replacement would be forthcoming, and former Real Madrid manager Rafael Benitez is reportedly the favorite to succeed him.

“I would like to thank Steve personally for his services to Newcastle United,” Charnley said. “He is a man of integrity and class and he has conducted himself with great dignity during this difficult time. Steve worked tirelessly to try and bring success to Newcastle United. He has the utmost respect of all the players, staff and management and he leaves with our very best wishes and sincere thanks.”

Leicester City's chase for the EPL title​

Newcastle next plays Leicester City on Monday at 4 p.m. ET.

- Erin Flynn

You May Like