Arsenal advanced to the quarterfinals of the FA Cup with a straightforward win over Sutton United.

By Staff
February 20, 2017

Arsenal is licking its wounds from a devastating loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League, but it avoided another loss on Monday that would've required a whole new level of soul-searching. 

The Gunners emerged victorious at Gander Green Lane, beating fifth-tier upstart Sutton United in the FA Cup's round of 16 2-0 to reach the quarterfinals. Whereas Arsenal boasts some of the world's most recognizable names, Sutton boasts a roster of part-time players and emerging cult hereos, but after beating the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United, its sensational run came to an end. 

Arsenal remains on its quest to lift some silverware this season, and with another non-league side, Lincoln City, waiting in the quarterfinals, the path to lifting the FA Cup again is mighty appealing for the Premier League power.

After dominating possession Monday, Arsenal broke through in the 26th minute through Lucas Perez. The goal came off a counterattack, with Perez cutting centrally to curl a low, left-footed shot through the goal. Theo Walcott glanced in front of goal but never got a touch on it, putting the Gunners up 1-0.

Sutton had a great chance to equalizer before halftime, but Adam May's chance was pulled wide of the mark after a horrible giveaway from Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina in his own third.

Arsenal doubled its lead in the 55th minute through Theo Walcott, who scored his 100th goal with the club and created some breathing room with his powerful finish.

Sutton's biggest highlight of the night came courtesy of backup goalkeeper Wayne Shaw, who was spotted in the stadium bar at halftime and enjoyed this in-game snack while on the bench in the second half.

On the field, Sutton's Rory Deacon nearly made things interesting about 10 minutes after Walcott's goal, ripping a shot from distance that had Ospina beat but caromed off the crossbar.

You May Like