The products featured in this article have been independently reviewed. When you buy something through the retail links on this page, we may earn commission at no cost to you, the reader. The Sports Illustrated editorial team is not involved in the creation of this content. Learn more here.
The chill in the air and the turning of leaves signal only one thing: the holidays are coming. This means it’s the perfect time to get together with your friends and family, hit the slopes, camp under the stars or go on a long, relaxing hike. It’s also the best time to shop for gifts for the adventurous people in your life or take advantage of fantastic deals to buy the best outdoor equipment that you can use for years to come.
You can save up to 30% off standard retail prices and get the best deals on clothing, footwear, gear, tents and more from your favorite brands at the REI Fall Sale. So if you or anyone in your family or friend group are avid nature or outdoorsy people, this is your one-stop shop for the best outdoor gear.
This comprehensive REI Fall Sale Guide has everything you need in terms of top-quality camping, running, skiing gear and more.
The Best Products to Shop During the REI Sale
- Best Tent: Thule Tepui Foothill Tent (20% off)
- Best Car Rack: Thule Vector Alpine Roof Box (20% off)
- Best Paddle Board: Pau Hana Malibu Tour Stand Up Paddle Board (30% off)
- Best Bike Accessory: Garmin Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer (20% off)
- Best Bike Trailer: Encore X (30% off)
- Best Sleeping Bag: Bishop Pass Gore-Tex 0F/-18C (25% off)
- Best Backpack: Osprey Ariel Pro 65 Pack (25% off)
- Best Men’s Outerwear: Obermeyer Ridgeline Insulated Jacket with Faux Fur (25% off)
- Best Women’s Outerwear: The North Face ThermoBall Eco Snow Triclimate 3-in-1 Jacket (25% off)
- Best Hiking Boots: Danner Douglas GTX 6" Boots (25% off)
- Features a wide entry, an oversized panoramic rear window, dual skylights for maximum airflow and enhanced stargazing opportunities and internal pockets for extra storage.
- When driving, the aerodynamic profile reduces drag. It also provides a smaller footprint to store easily in the off-season.
- A plush, low-profile 1.6 in. (4 cm) thick foam mattress with a removable, machine-washable cover is included.
- Telescopic internal frame poles enable one-person setup and breakdown. The tent's low-profile, symmetrical design allows it to be mounted on either side of the vehicle.
Thule once again brings you the best in camping with its Tepui Foothill Tent. It is incredibly comfortable to sleep in and it can also be used as a cargo carrier. The insulated roof is great for noise reduction and helps maintain a stable temperature inside the tent, so you’re sure to remain warm and toasty on cold evenings.
A telescoping ladder is attached to the tent, so it’s easy to climb in and out. It also has a relatively thick foam mattress with a removable cover.
This tent has all the makings of great camping gear — what more do you need?
All this and it has enough space for two adults to sleep comfortably.
- The PowerClick quick-mount mechanism makes installation simple. An incorporated torque indicator clicks when it is attached correctly, ensuring an easy and secure fit.
- The lid is automatically locked in place by the SlideLock system, which has independent locking and opening operations. It alerts you when the box is firmly shut.
- The rack has a high-end interior with integrated lights and a felt-lined base for better gear protection.
- An LED light and white lid interior make loading and unloading at night a breeze. The reinforced lid makes for smooth opening and closing.
The Thule Vector Alpine Roof Box boasts a sleek, sporty design perfect for outdoor adventures with family and friends. Not only does it embody class and style, but it’s also incredibly functional—it can hold up to five snowboards and six pairs of skis.
This car rack conveniently mounts towards the front of the roof to give you enough space to access the trunk. It can easily be opened with one hand and has a gear capacity of 360 liters. Built with excellent craftsmanship right here in the USA, the Vector Alpine car rack is the best for travel.
- This board is highly durable thanks to Vacuum Formed Technology (VFT) and ABS plastic sandwiched around the EPS core. It comes with a sturdy Malibu adjustable aluminum paddle.
- The board is perfectly stable for new paddlers to ride comfortably and built to be quick enough to cover long distances with ease.
- The one-inch through-hole makes it simple to lock up or stake the board.
- The self-regulating vent plug allows air to flow freely while preventing water and other debris from entering, minimizing damage caused by pressurization.
- The 5mm EVA deck pad provides secure traction and a soft grip for comfortable rides. The center handle insert is molded for comfort and sunk into the board, so it does not interfere with use.
The paddle board is engineered for use in flat water. The board cuts through water at moderate speeds and is a perfect choice even if you’re a beginner starting your surfing journey.
It is impeccably designed with a gorgeous rustic wood aesthetic. Professionals also love this board because of its solid construction, secure traction and soft grip.
What’s more? It features SeaMount, an accessory attachment system that allows you to easily add cup holders, paddle clips and bungee tie-downs to the board.
- The road feel feature allows you to feel the vibrating sensation of different surfaces, such as cobblestone and gravel.
- The capacitive detection sensor determines the exact position of your legs, allowing you to analyze pedal strokes using compatible third-party software and Edge bike computers (not included).
- With a motor capable of generating up to 2,200 watts for higher resistance under certain conditions, you can enjoy more powerful climbs and sprints with an improved ride feel.
- Measures power and cadence to within 1%, ensuring accurate and reliable data with no calibration required. The foldable frame allows for easy transport and storage.
The Garmin Tacx NEO 2T Smart Trainer gives you a dynamic feeling of inertia, even when you’re static. The innovative road feel feature provides vibrations that make it seem like you’re zipping down the block or biking up a trail.
It truly brings the outdoor experience inside and is incredibly helpful for those who don’t have access to natural surroundings or bike trails. The motor generates high amounts of resistance, so you can modify your workouts as your stamina increases.
- The padded seat detaches to convert to a cargo trailer. The suspension softens bumps and jostles to keep the kids comfortable.
- Tinted side and rear windows, as well as a sunshade, shield passengers from harmful UV rays and provide shade on sunny days. The rear window provides ample ventilation.
- When folded forward while biking, the height-adjustable handlebar doubles as an additional roll bar.
- The water-resistant cover and zippers provide weather protection in wet conditions. The 20-inch push-button wheels are easy to install and remove.
The Burley Encore X Bike Trailer is perfect for the active family. It has a classic, sporty look and can be easily converted into a double stroller.
Whether you’re getting the kids ready for a hike or bringing them along for grocery shopping, this trailer does it all. It softens the movement on bumpy roads, so it’s perfect for nature trails or cycling. The kit can be used on sand, gravel and even snow. It is roomy enough for your children to be comfortable.
- The breathable, highly water-resistant and windproof GORE-TEX INFINIUMTM WINDSTOPPER® shell fabric keeps the down fill dry and fully lofted for a warm night's sleep.
- The durable and lightweight #5 YKK® 2-way zipper allows you to ventilate the foot section without having to unzip the entire bag. An anti-snag slider allows for easy entry and exit.
- Fluorine-free 650-fill-power goose down provides a high-performing warmth-to-weight ratio that offers lightweight warmth and compressibility. The premium lining material is also very gentle on the skin.
- The bag can be zipped together with another compatible Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag with a right-side zipper to make a bed for two. It also comes with a stuff sack and mesh storage bag.
The Mountain Hardwear Bishop Pass Gore 0 F Sleeping Bag ensures that condensation and frost will not ruin a good night’s sleep, whether you are camping high in the alpines or a wooded forest.
It comes in customizable sizes so you can pick the most snug and comfortable sleeping bag for your specific use case. The Performance Mummy Cut of the bag hugs your body and provides insulation and warmth through the chilliest nights.
- Dual front compression straps keep the profile slim and stabilize loads; dual side compression straps add stability or can be removed to minimize weight.
- Includes a removable floating top lid with a zippered pocket for storing smaller items. The integrated FlapJacketTM protects contents from rain and foul weather when used without a lid.
- The internal sleeve holds up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately) and the hipbelt and harness are interchangeable. The hipbelt can be custom molded for the perfect fit.
- Streamlined design for those who value efficiency and develop their unique organizational systems based on their specific needs. The sternum strap with a whistle for when the "safety third" isn't enough.
The Osprey Ariel Pro 65 Pack bag is one of the best hiking backpacks on the market today. It can carry heavy weights, while its design ensures that it doesn’t feel too heavy or bulky.
This backpack has external hydration access, an internal key ring, reflective straps, a sternum strap with an emergency whistle, lateral compression straps, straps to adjust the sleeping bag and room for customization. It is great for alpine climbing expeditions and remote basecamps.
This is an excellent choice if you want a bag that will provide all this and soft, breathable support.
- Skier CriticalTM seam sealing and HydroBlock® Pro 15,000 mm/15,0000g waterproof and highly breathable fabric provide warmth and comfort wherever you go.
- Built with 45% REPREVE® recycled material, a fiber that converts plastic bottles into performance apparel. Each jacket contains 12.5 recycled plastic bottles.
- It has a YKK 2-way front zipper, mesh gussets, adjustable cuffs, thumbhole inner cuffs, a Snap-AwayTM water-resistant powder skirt, an adjustable hem, zipper chest pockets, zipper handwarmer pockets, flap pockets and a zipper pass pocket, among other features.
- The ultimate marriage of style and comfort with windproofing on the inside, plus a fleece-lined collar, quilted lining and faux leather trim.
The Obermeyer Ridgeline Insulated Jacket with Faux Fur for men is the ultimate protection against strong winds and harsh weather. It has many zippers to store various items and comes in three solid colors (black, coal and night ops in dark green).
The waterproof shell, synthetic down insulation and coyote faux fur will keep you warm wherever you are. It’s the perfect jacket when you want to hit the slopes during the holidays or when you want to go for a winter hike.
- Outer and inner jackets have zip-in compatibility with other The North Face complementing garments (not included).
- The waterproof and breathable two-layer DryVentTM shell with sealed seams keeps you dry and comfortable.
- The first layer of defense against moisture is a durable water-repellent (DWR) coating and a helmet-compatible hood that provides coverage.
- The jacket has a secure-zip chest pocket, hand pockets, wrist pocket with goggles wipe, internal goggles pocket and smart underarm vents that allow heat to escape during vigorous exercise or movement.
The North Face offers this stunning, sleek and functional ThermoBall EcoSnow Triclimate Jacket for autumn and winter. If you’re planning on skiing, snowboarding or doing snow sports, look no further than this jacket.
It is highly durable and lightweight, with many pockets and zippers for maximum convenience. The waterproof shell can be detached for flexibility. It comes in five colors: lavender fog, shady blue, medium grey, topaz and wild ginger print.
- The 100% watertight and breathable GORE-TEX liners keep water out while allowing sweat and moisture to escape. The open-cell polyurethane footbeds facilitate heat dissipation and air circulation.
- Removable OrthoLite footbeds have three layers of varying density that work together to provide maximum cushioning and support.
- Danner wedge outsoles are non-marking, oil- and slip-resistant and provide cushioning, lightweight support and traction without collecting debris.
- The soft rubber compound is intended for long-day comfort on smooth indoor surfaces such as concrete and wood. These boots are not intended for daily use on asphalt.
These Danner Douglas hiking boots for men and women are incredibly durable and have a simple and streamlined look. They are excellent hiking boots for cold, damp and chilly weather and rough terrain.
These boots are designed to last a lifetime and can be repaired over and over again over decades. The full-grain leather uppers undergo six different tests to ensure durability, strength and quality.
They come in earth tones of charcoal and roasted pecan.
What Is the REI Fall Sale?
REI’s motto is “a life outdoors is a life well lived.” The American retail and outdoor recreation services corporation is a one-stop shop for everything you need in the great outdoors: camping equipment, hiking, climbing, cycling, water, running, fitness, snow, travel equipment and more. It also offers clothing for men, women and children.
The REI fall sale is an annual event held each November—right around the holidays when people are planning their next outdoor excursions with friends or family or making their Christmas lists. Throughout the fall sale, many high-end products are marked down between 20% and 35%.
When Is the REI Fall Sale?
November is an excellent time to get the best deals and clearance on end-of-season gear! The next REI 20% off coupon will be for the pre-holiday sale, which will begin on November 12, 2022 and end on November 21, 2022.
Does REI have an annual sale?
Yes, REI has four annual sales: The Anniversary Sale, Member Sale, Labor Day Sale and the Fall Sale during the holidays.
How long is the return period at REI?
You can return purchases for a replacement or refund within 90 days. The return period for REI Co-op members is extended to one year after the purchase date.
Prices are accurate and items in stock as of publish time.