Mets may shut down pitcher Matt Harvey later in season to limit his workload
New York Mets manager Terry Collins said on Saturday that the team will monitor starting pitcher Matt Harvey's workload as the season wears on, hinting that the 24-year-old could be shut down early.
After throwing 169.1 innings between the majors and Triple-A last season, Harvey is currently fifth in MLB in innings pitched with 117.
He is also on track the start the All-Star Game on July 16 at Citi Field, as his 2.00 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, .184 opponents' batting average and 132 strikeouts all lead the National League.
In 2011, his first year with the Mets, Harvey threw 135.2 innings between Single- and Double-A.
“We are not, we are not going to hinder this kid’s health by killing him now,” the Mets’ manager said. “When the future is so bright and with (Zack) Wheeler coming, with Rafael (Montero) coming, all of these young prospect pitchers coming, we’re not going to jeopardize what’s down the road for right now. I’m not going to do it. So we’re going to monitor his workload, and hopefully he gets through the month of September.”
While sitting Harvey would be a joint decision by Collins, GM Sandy Alderson and others, the manager says he also understands the benefits of a full season for the righty. “I think it’s very important for young pitchers, any player, to know what it takes to play the six months at this level,” Collins said. “What you have to do to maintain your health and your energy level — he’s done great so far, but we’ve only got three months, and we’ve got three more to go.”