Diego Costa has reportedly told Atletico Madrid that he will leave the team and look to complete a transfer this summer to Chelsea to the tune of approximately $54 million, according to Miguel Delaney of ESPN.
The news comes as Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has publicly stated the club's intentions of signing a high-profile striker in the offseason. The two sides have reportedly been in talks for some time now, but the exact timing of the completion of the deal is relatively unclear; SkySports reported that the deal will be formally announced by the club in June.
The 25-year-old Costa had previously said in media reports that he would not make a decision until the end of the season, but did confirm there are reports on the table:
"I feel good at Atletico, I am happy in Madrid. We will see what happens. There are offers, but it is too early yet to talk. Now I am just thinking about the end of the season, I want to win the Champions League and La Liga."
Costa's current squad can win La Liga this Saturday with a win or draw against Barcelona, which needs to win in order to secure the top spot in the league.
Atletico Madrid also has the chance to win the UEFA Champions League title the following Saturday against Real Madrid. Costa helped Atletico to a semifinal victory over Chelsea in late April.