Report: Chargers Malcom Floyd expected to play in 2014
The veteran receiver was faced with a tough decision after he was told by doctors that he would be at a greater risk of a spinal injury if he continued playing, but Floyd decided to push forward despite the uncertainty.
Last week, he met with Dr. Robert Watkins and according to team and league sources, Floyd will be cleared to play this season.
Floyd was injured going up for a pass last season in Philadelphia. He was hit by two Eagles defenders taking the main blow from linebacker DeMeco Ryans. Floyd was taken off the field on a stretcher after the play. Ryans was later fined $21,000 for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area with his shoulder.
For several months, Floyd has been making small steps in his recovery from the spinal disk issues.
Malcom Floyd on Monday:
"The doc said … I'm at risk just like anybody else," Floyd said Monday. "There's not really a worry. … I'm feeling good. I think I feel like my old self. I'm really excited to make plays again," Floyd said. "Hopefully, I can do more this year than I ever have."