WPS: Sol stretch unbeaten streak to eight

Publish date:

The Los Angeles Sol continue to dominate in Women's Professional Soccer action. The club picked up its eighth win of the season Sunday, with a 2-0 win over FC Gold Pride. The Sol (8-1-4, 28 points) are riding an eight-game unbeaten streak, dating back to May 2.

The Washington Freedom (4-3-4, 16 points) moved into second place with a win on Sunday. Only five points separate the second-place and last-place teams. The Boston Breakers (4-4-3, 15 points) now sit in third after earning a win and a draw this week. St. Louis Athletica (4-4-2, 14 points) is in fourth place. Sky Blue FC (3-5-3, 12 points) and FC Gold Pride (3-6-3, 12 points) are in fifth place, while the Chicago Red Stars (2-5-5, 11 points) are in last place.

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- An early Rosana goal stuck for the remainder of the match to boost Sky Blue FC.

In the 24th minute, Sky Blue midfielder Heather O'Reilly was fouled. The play led to a Sky Blue free kick. The Brazilian star drilled her shot into the net for a 1-0 lead.

The Red Stars turned up the heat in the second half, with some quality chances. Danesha Adams forced Sky Blue keeper Jenni Branam to make a save in the 58th minute. Cristiane registered a shot on goal seconds later. Adams added another one before Branam and company finally cleared the area.

Despite late attempts for both clubs, the game ended in a 1-0 Sky Blue win.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Christine Sinclair struck a 15th-minute goal to give FC Gold Pride an early lead on Wednesday night.

On the play, Sinclair found herself in the right place at the right time when a defensive tackle landed right at her feet. She drilled the ball into the lower right corner from about 25 yards out for her fifth goal of the season.

A corner kick in the 76th minute for Boston made all the difference as Kelly Smith sent a corner kick into the box and Jennie Nobis headed home the equalizer.

ST. LOUIS -- Washington Freedom midfielder Rebecca Moros tallied an 83rd-minute goal to account for the scoring at Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park.

"We played pretty well in the first half but did have to weather a few storms," said Freedom head coach Jim Gabarra. "Both goalies played spectacular in the first half and each team was battling to just be the first one to score."

St. Louis was relentless on the attack in the second half. The club had three close calls early on. In the 47th minute, St. Louis forward Christie Welsh ricocheted a shot off the crossbar. Athletica forward Melissa Tancredi experienced a bit of déjà vu three minutes later on a header. In the 63rd minute, Eniola Aluko made a run, broke free from the defense and shot. McLeod grabbed the shot, keeping her net clean.

In the 83rd minute, the Freedom found a way to score. Washington forward Lisa De Vanna collected a loose ball in midfield and charged toward Athletica's backline. De Vanna forwarded the ball to Moros, who was closely defended by Kia McNeill. McNeill attempted to clear it, but Moros regained the ball and blasted a shot at St. Louis goalkeeper Hope Solo.

Erin McLeod collected seven saves and helped Washington to its second straight shutout. Washington forward Abby Wambach left the field due to a hamstring problem in the 41st minute. She'll be further evaluated.

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- No. 1 WPS draft pick Amy Rodriguez finally got the monkey off her back, scoring her first league goal Sunday. Kristine Lilly added a goal and an assist for Boston.

Lilly found an open Rodriguez in the 22nd minute. Rodriguez then ran into the box, challenged Red Stars goalkeeper Caroline Jonsson and slotted the ball into the lower left corner for a 1-0 lead.

Chicago's Lindsay Tarpley sent a shot off the crossbar about a minute after the goal. The ball bounced back into play, missed Megan Rapinoe and was cleared by the Boston defense. The Red Stars continued the pressure into the second half. Two shots beat goalkeeper Allison Lipsher twice. But the Breakers defenders had her back, clearing the attempts. In the 68th minute, another Tarpley blast appeared to bounce off Boston defender Alex Scott's arm. The referee didn't call it.

Before Chicago could tie things up, Boston snuck in again in stoppage time. Red Stars defender Nikki Krzysik took down Boston's Jenni Nobis in the box. Kelly Smith buried the penalty kick for a 2-0 lead.

"I think it was a gutsy performance," Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco said. "It was difficult to play in this weather and I thought it was really important to score first because chasing the game in this weather is not easy. Chicago probably deserved more, but we've been on that side of the games as well. So we're delighted with the win and we went out with the right mentality."

Boston is now undefeated in its last two matches. The Red Stars have dropped their last two games, after posting a 0-0-3 record to start a four-game road trip. Chicago has not won since it topped Boston 4-0 on April 25.

CARSON, Calif. -- Camille Abily and Marta tallied goals for the red-hot Sol.

Los Angles dominated from the first whistle and took the lead 17 minutes in. Aya Miyami sent a corner kick into the box. Abily took advantage of a deflection, sneaking it past Gold Pride goalkeeper Nicole Barnart and into the net for her league-leading seventh goal of the season.

Eight minutes later, the Sol struck again. Shannon Boxx sent a long ball to Marta, who dribbled into the box and sent a low shot past a diving Barnhart for a 2-0 lead. The goal was Marta's fifth.

Los Angeles continued the attack in the second half, forcing Barnhart to make seven saves. In the 71st minute, she stopped successive attempts by Han Duan, Aya Miyama and Marta.

The Sol registered their ninth shutout of the season improved to 6-0-2 at home.

"We've worked extremely hard and came into this game with a lot of confidence thinking we could pull off a win," FC Gold Pride head coach Albertin Montoya said. "You have to give L.A. credit -- they keep seeming to find ways to win. I'm not disappointed in our team, they played their hearts out."