APOEL reaches Champions League knockout stage

Publish date:

ST. PETERBSURG, Russia (AP) -- APOEL became the first Cypriot team to reach the knockout stage of the Champions League by holding Zenit St. Petersburg to a 0-0 draw on Wednesday in a game that was twice interrupted by flares covering the pitch in smoke.

The result caps one of the most surprising group campaigns in the history of the Champions League, as APOEL remained unbeaten in five matches to top Group G with nine points, one ahead of Zenit with one round to go.

Zenit moved closer to the knockout stage as well, with two-time champion FC Porto needing to beat Shakhtar Donetsk later Wednesday to keep alive its chances of advancing.

APOEL entered the competition with few expectations of improving on its only other Champions League campaign two years ago when it failed to win a game and finished last in its group. But this year it wasted not time to show it should be taken seriously, winning 2-1 against Zenit in its first group game before following that up with an identical home victory against Porto this month.

The Cypriot club - which has an annual budget of about ?10 million ($13.5 million) - was on the back foot for much of Wednesday's draw, but Zenit could not capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities.

Zenit striker Alexander Bukharov tested goalkeeper Urko Pardo with a header just three minutes into the game. Seven minutes later, Viktor Fayzulin fired from 25 meters but Pardo blocked his low shot.

Pardo stopped another header from Bukhrov header in the 31st and stretched his right hand to stop Fayzulin's shot from inside the box in the 40th - Zenit's best scoring opportunity in the first half.

The match was suspended for three minutes when flares were lit by Zenit supporters in the 31st minute, covering the pitch with dense smoke, but restarted about six minutes later.

The visitors managed just one dangerous counter attack before the break when Gustavo Manduca broke down the right flank and crossed to Ailton who missed the target from close range.

The home side continued in possession after the break but the game was suspended again in the 54th because of smoke caused by fans throwing flares. German referee Felix Brych ordered the teams from the pitch, while Zenit midfielder Roman Shirokov and coach Luciano Spalletti addressed the fans to stop breaking the game.

After the game was resumed seven minutes later, Bukharov hit the crossbar and substitute Vladimir Bystrov missed to score from the rebound in the 60th.

Zenit came close in the 72nd, when Bukharov pushed the ball under Pardo but it was cleared from the goal line by defenders.

Four minutes later, Pardo tipped Danny's shot from outside the box over the crossbar.

Zenit plays at Porto in the final round on Dec. 6, while APOEL will host Shakhtar.