By 90Min
November 22, 2017

A source close to Sam Allardyce has revealed that the former West Ham manager was offered the chance to return to the club following the departure of Slaven Bilić.

The Croatian was sacked from the club earlier this season and the Hammers decided to appoint David Moyes as the manager until the end of their Premier League campaign. 


However, Moyes wasn't West Ham's first choice and the club even offered their former boss a contract before turning to the ex-Manchester United manager.

"He was offered big money to return," the source told KUMB (via  Football London). "But he turned it down straight away."

Allardyce spent four years in charge at Upton Park, taking charge of the Hammers in over 180 games. First being appointed by the club in 2011, following spells in charge of Blackburn, Newcastle and Bolton, the 63-year-old went on to manage Sunderland and Crystal Palace at club level, as well as a short spell in charge of the England national team.

This news has come after West Ham's joint chairman, David Gold, admitted that the club only appointed Moyes because there was a lack of managers available.

"I guess that's what's been our main reason for choosing David [experience], and I think it's perfect for him and perfect for us. So I'm optimistic for the future," Gold said. "I'm pleased, I think we've got the best man that's available at this time and I'm sure he's going to take us forward.

"You were talking about his experience, that's what we need. He came from Preston, he was very successful at Preston and he was very successful at Everton, and we think he's the right man for the job."

You May Like