WATCH: Man City Survives Big Scare to Beat Swansea in FA Cup

City came from two goals down to beat Swansea 3-2 in the FA Cup quarterfinals on Saturday, but it was a comeback that benefited from two refereeing mistakes.
Publish date:

LONDON — Manchester City's quest for a quadruple is still on - thanks to a bit of luck and some help from the referee.

City came from two goals down to beat second-tier Swansea 3-2 in the FA Cup quarterfinals on Saturday, but it was a comeback that benefited from two refereeing mistakes. City was incorrectly awarded a penalty that led to the equalizer before Sergio Aguero scored the winner from an offside position to end Swansea's hopes of a massive upset.

Adding to City's good fortune was the fact the equalizer had only gone in after the ball bounced off goalkeeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

It made for one of City's least impressive wins of the season but kept coach Pep Guardiola on track for a possible four titles. City has already won the League Cup, leads the way in the Premier League and is into the Champions League quarterfinals.

But the big-spending club almost saw its FA Cup campaign ended by a Championship club for the second straight season, having lost to Wigan in the fifth round last year.

In a game played in driving rain, Matt Grimes gave Swansea the lead from the penalty spot in the 20th minute. Bersant Celina then doubled the lead by finishing off a sublime move with a curling first-time finish into the corner in the 29th.

It was a goal that had all the hallmarks of City's usually slick attacking play, which was missing from the visitors for most of the match.

Guardiola's team still found a way back into the game in the 69th when Aguero had a shot blocked before playing the ball out to Bernardo Silva, who rifled a shot with the outside of his boot into the corner.

City continued to pressure Swansea and the penalty came when Cameron Carter-Vickers was adjudged to have fouled Raheem Sterling in the box - even though replays clearly showed he got the ball.

Aguero's spot kick then hit the post before the ball went in off the luckless Nordfeldt.

The Argentina striker then netted the winner in the 88th with a header. However, replays showed he was offside when the cross was delivered - highlighting the absence of video reviews in the competition.

Earlier Saturday, Watford also reached the semifinals after substitute Andre Gray scored two minutes after coming off the bench to secure a 2-1 victory over Crystal Palace.

Gray latched on to Roberto Pereyra's chip into the area and volleyed in left-footed in the 79th minute as Watford became the first team to book a place at Wembley Stadium.

Etienne Capoue had given Watford the lead in the 27th minute when a corner was diverted into his path and he stabbed the ball in from 10 yards. But Palace leveled in the 62nd when Watford failed to clear the ball and Michy Batshuayi won possession before breaking into the area and firing past Heurelho Gomes.