The Blues have been looking to offload their third choice left-back before the transfer window closes in two weeks, but it seems the front-runners for Emerson Palmieri's signature have fallen short.
Chelsea's summer recruitment of Marc Cucurella has pushed the Italian too far down the pecking order, as he failed to make either of their opening Premier League matchday squads so far.
Cucurella and Ben Chilwell have both made promising appearances at the beginning of the 2022/23 season and it is looking increasingly difficult for another player to get in ahead of them, despite the latter's staggered return to football.
With that in mind, co-owner Todd Boehly had been in promising talks with West Ham United over the permanent transfer of the 28-year-old, with the defender keen to get some minutes ahead of the Qatar World Cup.
However, the latest report from Evening Standard journalist Nizaar Kinsella, has claimed that the deal has surprisingly fallen through despite the clubs having come close to agreeing a fee of £13m + £2m in add-ons.
The defender spent the 2021/22 campaign on loan to Olympique Lyon, with the Ligue 1 side paying only £500,000 in fees, so it is anyone's guess as to why the deal with the Hammers has collapsed this close to the transfer deadline.
Read More Chelsea News
- Report: Everton Turn Down £45m Bid For Anthony Gordon From Chelsea
- Tottenham Manager Antonio Conte's Instagram Message to Thomas Tuchel
- Blues Fans Create Petition To Ban Anthony Taylor from Officiating Chelsea Games
- 'One Team Deserved To Win' - Thomas Tuchel On Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham
- 'There Have Been Two Bids' - Brendan Rodgers on Chelsea's Latest Push for Wesley Fofana
- Report: Chelsea Contact Barcelona Over Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang
- Report: Chelsea Co-Owner Todd Boehly Phoned Frenkie de Jong To Push For Move
- Report: Chelsea Open Talks With Edouard Mendy In Regards Of A New Contract
- Chelsea Women Release Ticket Details For Opener At Stamford Bridge