What if . . .
- . . . Alex Rodriguez had been traded to Boston?
- . . . The '94 MLB strike never happened?
- . . . Babe Ruth was sold elsewhere?
- . . . Williams and Dimaggio didn't go to war?
- . . . Michael Jordan had continued playing baseball?
- . . . N.C. State hadn't pulled off its miracle?
- . . . The Blazers had better injury luck?
- . . . Big Ben was drafted by the Giants?
- . . . Donald Trump had made the Bills great?
- . . . Drew Brees had passed his Dolphins physical?
- . . . These field goal attempts had been good?
- . . . George Halas had died in a boat wreck?
- . . . Jim Harbaugh had stuck with Alex Smith as 49ers quarterback?
- . . . The NFL map looked like this?
- . . . Peyton Manning went to San Diego?
- . . . Teddy Roosevelt hadn't revolutionized football?
- . . . Terrell Owens was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame?
- . . . LeBron James had chosen soccer over basketball?
- . . . U.S. soccer got the right call in the '02 World Cup?
- . . . Cleveland had been saved by George Steinbrenner?
- . . . These draft moments had happened differently?
- . . . Injuries had never altered these five careers?
- . . . Lance Armstrong had been whipped by cancer?
- . . . Muhammad Ali had never met Malcolm X?
- . . . PEDs had been legal all along?
- . . . Steve Bartman had never gone to Wrigley?
- . . . Things had happened differently for these four illustrious coaches?
- . . . Tiger Woods had pursued a career as a Navy Seal?
- . . . These trades had actually happened?
- . . . Wayne Gretzky hadn't been traded to the Kings?
Albert Pujols imagined as an Expo (Photo illustration by SI Premedia)
What If ... these four entirely realistic trades had gone down?
by Jacob Feldman
From CP3 to Randy Moss, imagining the biggest near-swaps in sports—and their fallouts.
WHAT IF ... Cardinals send prospect Albert Pujols (not Fernando Tatís; it was close) to Expos in '00.
NEW ENDING: Alongside Vlad Guerrero, '01 R.O.Y. pushes Expos deep in playoffs; TV bidding war ensues; Montreal stadium interest revived.
Chris Paul imagined as a Laker (Photo illustration by SI Premedia)
WHAT IF ... David Stern approves proposed three-team trade (LAL-HOU-NOH) landing Chris Paul with Lakers.
NEW ENDING: CP3 helps Kobe find triumphant final act; Rockets lack assets to land James Harden; Hornets aren't bad enough to get top lottery pick (Anthony Davis).
Mariano Rivera imagined as a Mariner (Photo illustration by SI Premedia)
WHAT IF ... Yankees' George Steinbrenner gets his way, sends Mariano Rivera to Mariners in '96.
NEW ENDING: Yanks wilt without '96 WS savior; Rivera helps Seattle over playoff hump; Griffey-Ichiro-A-Rod Mariners rise.
Randy Moss imagined as a Packer (Photo illustration by SI Premedia)
WHAT IF ... Packers and Raiders' Randy Moss find contractual middle ground, execute near-swap of '07.
NEW ENDING: Brett Favre teams up with Moss in 15–1 season that ends with SB XLII glory; No. 4 makes clean break from NFL; Aaron Rodgers inherits dominant offense.