What if . . .
- . . . Alex Rodriguez had been traded to Boston?
- . . . The '94 MLB strike never happened?
- . . . Babe Ruth was sold elsewhere?
- . . . Williams and Dimaggio didn't go to war?
- . . . Michael Jordan had continued playing baseball?
- . . . N.C. State hadn't pulled off its miracle?
- . . . The Blazers had better injury luck?
- . . . Big Ben was drafted by the Giants?
- . . . Donald Trump had made the Bills great?
- . . . Drew Brees had passed his Dolphins physical?
- . . . These field goal attempts had been good?
- . . . George Halas had died in a boat wreck?
- . . . Jim Harbaugh had stuck with Alex Smith as 49ers quarterback?
- . . . The NFL map looked like this?
- . . . Peyton Manning went to San Diego?
- . . . Teddy Roosevelt hadn't revolutionized football?
- . . . Terrell Owens was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame?
- . . . LeBron James had chosen soccer over basketball?
- . . . U.S. soccer got the right call in the '02 World Cup?
- . . . Cleveland had been saved by George Steinbrenner?
- . . . These draft moments had happened differently?
- . . . Injuries had never altered these five careers?
- . . . Lance Armstrong had been whipped by cancer?
- . . . Muhammad Ali had never met Malcolm X?
- . . . PEDs had been legal all along?
- . . . Steve Bartman had never gone to Wrigley?
- . . . Things had happened differently for these four illustrious coaches?
- . . . Tiger Woods had pursued a career as a Navy Seal?
- . . . These trades had actually happened?
- . . . Wayne Gretzky hadn't been traded to the Kings?
What If ... these five failed field goal attempts had been good?
by Jacob Feldman
What if Wide Right had been Just Straight Enough and the Kick Six was actually just a Kick Three? We imagine a different reality for five famous flubbed kicks.
WHAT IF ... With 2:07 left, Vikes leading Falcons by seven in '98 NFC title game, Gary Anderson splits uprights from 39.
NEW ENDING: Minnesota rides out a win. QB Randall Cunningham is HOF contender; Randy Moss has Super Bowl ring; record-setting O is remembered quite differently.
WHAT IF ... Tony Romo gets a clean hold; Martin Gramatica kicks Cowboys past Seahawks in '07 wild card.
NEW ENDING: Dallas ends a decadelong playoff drought; Romo denies Peyton Manning his first ring in SB XLI, then hangs it up (10 years early; sorry, Phil Simms) to join CBS.
WHAT IF ... Scott Norwood doesn't slice decisive 47-yarder in first of four straight Bills SB appearances.
NEW ENDING: High on a win, Bills rattle off three more SB wins, twice over Cowboys, whose dynasty disappears, accelerating Jimmy Johnson-Jerry Jones animus.
WHAT IF ... Gerry Thomas's 34-yard game-winner for FSU against Miami in '91 stays just inside the upright.
NEW ENDING: FSU wins national title, then repeats in '92 after another late kick (without the added pressure) helps top Canes a second time. 30 for 30 does a Field Goal U doc.
WHAT IF ... Bama's Adam Griffith gets enough distance on 57-yard tiebreaker as time expires in '13 Iron Bowl.
NEW ENDING: In ensuing title game, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix knocks ball away from FSU's Kelvin Benjamin on late drive, ensures Nick Saban's third straight title, vaults coach into GOAT territory.