SYDNEY (AP) - News Limited is reporting from Madrid that the court case involving the father of tennis player Bernard Tomic has been adjourned until October after the man he allegedly assaulted declined to return for Tuesday's scheduled hearing.
John Tomic was charged with assault after allegedly head-butting his son's hitting partner, Thomas Drouet, outside a hotel during the Madrid Open. Drouet said he was left with a broken nose and needed a temporary neck brace.
News Limited newspapers in Australia reported that Drouet couldn't be in Madrid on Tuesday, but didn't offer an explanation. The case will be relisted on a date to be set in October.
John Tomic, who claims he acted in self-defense after being provoked by Drouet, has been barred from attending tennis tournaments while the case is being investigated.
Bernard Tomic, Australia's highest-ranked singles player and a Wimbledon quarterfinalist in 2011, has withdrawn from this week's Italian Open, a key clay court warm-up for the French Open.
Australian tennis authorities told the Associated Press last week that they're focusing on getting Bernard Tomic ready for the second major of the season.
"From our perspective now, it's about knowing that we have to do what we can for Bernard for the upcoming events,'' Tennis Australia head of professional tennis Todd Woodbridge told AP.
Australia's Davis Cup coach, Josh Eagle, has been in contact with Tomic in Madrid, while Woodbridge and Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter, a two-time U.S. Open champion and two-time Wimbledon finalist, will be in Paris to support the 20-year-old later in the month.
Woodbridge said with the French Open and Wimbledon coming up, Tomic needed to be concentrating on his game, not his father's off-court situation.
"This is nothing to do with Bernard. This is John (Tomic's) issue that has to be dealt with,'' he said. "But obviously we've to get him focused on playing tennis over the next couple of months and put this aside.
"We want him to, I suppose, find some sanctuary on the court."