Daily Bagel: Olympic tennis makeover
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• VIDEO: There have been some great results coming out of the USTA training facility in New York. Training partners Christina McHale, Melanie Oudin and Varvara Lepchenko take a quiz on each other for this fun video.
• Billie Jean King thinks Olympic tennis needs a makeover.
King says the format for the Olympics makes tennis "an odd sport." "You make the team and you go over and then you play singles in the tournament," King said. "It's a team, but it's not a team."
• Good rundown here of the changes the players will be faced with when they return to the All England Club for the Olympics.
“Wimbledon is probably going to have the best facilities of any Olympics, in terms of infrastructure,” Barbara Travers of the ITF said in an interview at Wimbledon. “But there are things that the Olympics mandates that are not the way Wimbledon does things. So it will be slightly unusual.”
• Pics of the Sisters Radwanska as kids. Hams.
• Li Na was on Chinese Oprah. In other news, there's a Chinese Oprah!
• Nice write-up of Venus Williams' night with the Washington Kastles in front of First Lady Michelle Obama. I see you eating that burger, you "chegan" you.
• You should watch this short documentary on Gael Monfils' rehabilitation efforts.
• Non-tennis: London welcomes the world. Kind of.
If you have arrived early, you might just be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the final leg of the Olympic torch relay. Or you might be at a riot. Ask yourself the following questions: are there lots of people holding flames, or just one? Is everybody running in the right direction? Does the nearest branch of Foot Locker appear to be having the craziest sale ever?See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.