Daily Bagel: Tommy Haas on the rise
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: ATP Uncovered celebrates 34-year old Tommy Haas, who's in the midst of a resurgence. In his last five ATP tour events he's reached the semifinals or better in three, winning one and has seen his ranking rise to No. 25.
• Fashion bigwigs are rubbing elbows on the tennis courts at Midtown Tennis in Manhattan.
Mr. Neville has practiced his enviable ground strokes, developed after only two years of play, with Midtown instructors like Errol Campbell, Wayne Walker and Byron Spence, the latter of whom guides the game of tennis’s most famous fashion fan, Anna Wintour. “She’s like a retriever,” the muscular and fit Mr. Spence, also from Jamaica, said of the powerful Vogue editor. “She’s so fast. She’ll chase down everything. She doesn’t hit with a lot of spin, but she has an amazing cross-court forehand.”
• Jon Wertheim's Mailbag is chock-full of Olympic tidbits, but you have to like the story at the end about a good deed by Laura Robson that didn't go unnoticed. As Jon said, players need to hear these stories to stay grounded.
• Some thoughts from Sandra Harwitt on the American showing at the Olympics.
• Congratulations, Fernando Verdasco: You have taken the picture of the year.
• Simon Cambers wonders if tennis needs a good sibling rivalry.
• Gold medalists Andy Murray, Max Mirnyi, and the Bryans reunite in Toronto. Credit to Murray, who arrived in London on Tuesday and won his first match over Flavio Cipolla on Wednesday.
• Non-tennis: Beautiful Big Picture gallery of Olympic winning moments.See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.