Daily Bagel: Rainy days in Toronto
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Andy Murray withdrew from Toronto with a knee injury on Thursday, but not before showing off his wheels and touch in his opening match against Spain's Pablo Andujar.
• Speaking of Murray, seems he's still on a sleepless high from his gold-medal run.
"I've been not really sleeping much in the evening at all. Normally I sleep for nine, 10 hours a night. Maximum I've been sleeping four hours a day. That suggests I'm still fairly excited about it. The tournament was the best tournament of my life."
• Rain put off a full day's play in Toronto on Thursday and threatens to do the same on Friday. Tom Tebbutt's blog has a number of interesting tidbits, including some discussion of a Monday final.
[The tournament director] said that it was a possibility but that no “Monday final” decision would be made until sometime Friday evening. If it comes at that point it would almost certainly be because Friday has been another washout. That would mean that the only way to finish in time for Sunday evening’s 7 p.m. final would be to play two matches on Saturday (a better day in the forecast but still with late afternoon rain a possibility) and then two again on Sunday. Two matches a day, two days in a row, would likely be too heavy a load for players, some of whom are already experiencing post-Olympics fatigue. So, a Monday afternoon final would loom large.
• SI.com's Jon Wertheim joined the guys at Slate's Hang Up and Listen podcast to discuss all things Olympics.
• Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor are the first doubles team to qualify for the World Tour Finals in London.
• Non-tennis: I truly hope everyone discovered the wonderfulness that is Russian gymnastics Queen Bee Aliya Mustafina during this Olympic games.See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.