Daily Bagel: Petkovic takes to Twitter after meniscus tear
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Caroline Wozniacki lost in the first round of Brisbane to Ksenia Pervak 2-6, 6-3, 7-6. This five-minute coaching session with her father, Piotr, is a must watch. I have no idea what he's saying, but it didn't exactly sound like a pep talk.
• Andrea Petkovic's bad luck in Australia continues. For the third time in her career she suffered a major injury Down Under, this time suffering a meniscus tear in her right knee that forced her to retire in her first match at Hopman Cup. Thankfully, her sense of humor is still intact.
• Christopher Clarey reports on Rafael Nadal's withdrawal from the Australian Open for The New York Times.
• Nice interview here with Sloane Stephens, who notched her first top 20 win, beating No. 15 Dominika Cibulkova in Brisbane. Stephens isn't the only American who got a big win. Jamie Hampton bounced Auckland defending champion Zheng Jie in straight sets.
• Bernard Tomic says his goal is to end 2013 in the top 1o. If he plays as well as he did this weekend in a three-set win over Tommy Haas, he could get there.
• Serena Williams was moved to tears by Oscar Pistorius' performance at the London Olympics. Nevermind the fact that she thought he was Australian.
"Honestly I was brought to tears by the Australian runner, he didn't have any legs ... oh, he was South African? Similar colours."
• Funny anecdote about Rafael Nadal's OCD-like tendencies here.
• Will 2013 be the year a male tennis player comes out of the closet?
• If you know anything about John Isner, you know how much he loves pro wrestling. Here he is on a weekly WWE show talking about his favorite wrestler. And in a nod to wrestling fans, they voted Roger Federer as the greatest tennis player of all time. Don't think Roger would do too well in the ring though.
• The Grandstand blog puts forth their predictions on who will make the 2013 ATP World Tour Finals.Adam Yauch