Daily Bagel: Novak Djokovic to appear in Uniqlo underwear ads
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Keep an eye out for Novak Djokovic. He'll appear in ads for Uniqlo's underwear line.
• From The Daily Mail, a bidding war is set to break out over the agency rights for Andy Murray and Laura Robson. Pretty crazy to learn Robson is already the fourth-highest-earning female athlete in Britain.
• Peter Bodo wonders if Rafael Nadal has duped us all along.
Can it be that Nadal unwittingly set us up, or that his newly rehabilitated image as a superhero (stripped away by Novak Djokovic in 2011—how long ago it seems!) has been crafted with questionable metrics?
Well, I’m not sure about that. But I am pretty certain that Nadal’s glory also dims the luster of many of his ATP cohorts. Just how good are these other guys in this so called “golden age” if Nadal can come back from a seven-month layoff, ostensibly with his very future in doubt, and ride herd on everyone? And since he won’t hit a ball in anger until his beloved European clay-court swing begins, it’s hard to imagine anyone draining off enough of that spotlight to remove Nadal from his now exalted place in the public eye.
• As reported by The New York Times, the USTA's expansion plans for the U.S. Open are being met with organized local opposition.
• The Grandstand nails another Faux-Facebook chat: Players react to Nadal's Indian Wells title. Always hilarious and bang-on.The New York Times