Daily Bagel: New looks for Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: In case you missed it, Richard Gasquet got very angry with the chair umpire after receiving a time violation during his loss to Andy Murray at the Sony Open. Gasquet was not happy that the umpire did not give him an informal courtesy warning.
• Here's what Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will be wearing in upcoming tournaments.
• According to The Guardian, Murray, Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams are among the players who have been approached by doubles specialist Mahesh Bhupathi to play in the International Tennis Premier League, a proposed offseason team-based competition promising a huge payday.
Is this milking the game? Indeed. And any participating players who complain about the workload of a season that runs for nearly 11 months will struggle to convince tournament organisers or fans they are hard done by – especially with prizemoney of $5m on offer.
No contracts have been signed, either with television companies, players, venues or governing bodies. While there is only an outside chance of the competition starting in 2013, it could begin the following year.
A source close to the negotiations said on Tuesday: "As far as I know nobody has committed to it yet, so there is still quite a way to go."
• Unseeded and Looming compiles some of Anastasia Rodionova's more memorable feuds and tantrums.
• Kimiko Date-Krumm has been left off Japan's Fed Cup team.The New York Times