Daily Bagel: Sharapova tweets about Chardy, Chardy's girlfriend responds
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Agnieszka Radwanska has fun with her Road to Roland Garros interview. She's really obsessed with different hair color.
• Maria Sharapova tweeted that she didn't know who Jeremy Chardy was until this week. Chardy's girlfriend, Alize Lim, tweeted her back.
• Doug Robson looks at Kei Nishikori and the history of Japanese tennis.
• While everyone's grinding it out on clay, Andy Murray is preparing for his assault on Wimbledon.
For so many British players, Wimbledon is the breaking of them. They take their large first-round loser’s cheque and trudge back to the Challenger circuit, the bottom rung of the professional ladder, and are never seen again. Well, not until the next year, when they take their wild card with trembling hands, appear on the back pages of the national press for a day and then lose in straight sets. But for Murray, Wimbledon was the making of him.
• The French Open is a tough tournament to cover for bloggers because the FFT is militant in preventing non-sanctioned highlights and clips on YouTube, while not doing much to upload their own. It's an understandable legal position, but is hurting their branding?
If you search for the 2013 Australian Open and sort the results by number of views, you can see just how many people are viewing these YouTube clips. Several of the clips have more than a million views each, and many have hundreds of thousands of views. Do the same search for the 2013 French Open, and there’s absolutely nothing. So the FFT is taking a pass on allowing millions of people to view clips from their tournament. For what purpose?
Take it one step further. Our site regularly posts video clips from tournaments, and we receive thousands of visitors per day. Yet we’ve posted very few Roland Garros videos, because they’re simply not available. We’ve even decided not to post about certain happenings because there is no video to go along with it. Yes, we can write up a summary of a funny incident, but in this day and age, sports fans have come to expect video.
How many tennis sites, some much bigger and some smaller than ours, are out there having the same dilemma? We can’t cover some of the best shots of the tournament or the biggest stories of the day when everything is blocked. The FFT’s policy is causing their tournament to receive much less coverage on blogs and sports websites.
• Roger Federer's 36 straight Slam quarterfinals streak, by the numbers.
• Equal prize money does not extend to the Legends event at the French Open.
• Sara Tomic praises her brother's mental strength.
• Sad but true: The 15 fourth-round failures of Richard Gasquet.
• Aga Radwanska did a photo shoot in a Polish magazine. Yowza.
• London Mayor Boris Johnson and actor Eddie Redmayne will join Murray and Tim Henman for a charity exhibition event.Hybrid animals we wish existed