The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Roger Federer and Grigor "Baby Fed" Dimitrov face off for the first time today at the Swiss Indoors. Watch Dimitrov's reaction when he got punked at the French Open and was told that Federer had announced his retirement.
• The Court of Arbitration of Sport has reduced Marin Cilic's nine-month ban for testing positive for a banned stimulant to four months. He is eligible to return to the tour tomorrow, October 26th. That said, he has already withdrawn from next week's Paris Indoors.
• Interesting observations from Steve Tignor from the first few days of watching the WTA Championships.
Whatever the reason for her current slump, the larger point is that the WTA needs [Victoria Azarenka]. For the last two years, the tour has thrived because of the ascendance of [Maria] Sharapova, Azarenka and Serena Williams. With the exception of Marion Bartoli’s Wimblegeddon title this summer, the women’s Big 3 won every major in 2012 and 2013. But Sharapova, who has had shoulder and coaching issues, has been a non-factor since she lost the French Open final. And while Li Na, Radwanska and Petra Kvitova are fine players, none has emerged as a consistent challenger at the majors -- only three of the eight women in Istanbul have a winning record against Top 10 opponents. That leaves Vika as the last barricade between Serena and...herself.
For years, the WTA lacked a clear-cut No. 1 player. As of this moment, it feels like the tour is all about its No. 1. Here’s hoping Vika and Maria, and anyone else who wants to give it a try, can do something about that in 2014.
• Serena Williams and Sloane Stephens were named to Ebony Magazine's Power 100 list. Serena is in "The Champions" group, while Sloane was selected as an "Emerging Leader."
• The New York Post reports Jimmy Connors skipped the premiere of the new ESPN documentary on his 1991 U.S. Open run because he didn't want to run into Aaron Krickstein.
• John Isner is hosting a charity exhibition event in Greensboro, North Carolina featuring Andy Roddick.
• If you want a guaranteed headache, here are the qualification scenarios for the White Group.
• In L'Equipe, Richard Gasquet disputes Marion Bartoli's claims on French television that the two dated.Seven haikus about failed hip-hop fashion lines