Daily Bagel: Chris Evert: No player makes me as emotional as Federer
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Billie Jean King and Elton John sit down for a chat with Christiane Amanpour.
• Chris Evert has never hidden her adoration for Roger Federer, and sometimes that gets a little awkward on air for ESPN. Evert explains her Federer fandom to The Tennis Space.
Why do I love him? I don’t know, I just love him. There is something about Roger which just tugs at the heartstrings. I don’t know what it is, I can’t say exactly, but he gets to me. Maybe it’s because one of my sons idolises Roger, and I can see similarities between the two. It’s almost as though Roger could be my son. I’ve been in this game for more than 40 years, and there has never been a player who has made me as emotional as Roger has, not even close. ... This may sound strange, but his losses affect me much more than my own defeats. ... And I haven’t really spent that time with the guy. I hardly know him. I’m not a stalker, I promise you.”
• After months of searching, the ATP has finally settled on its new leader: Chris Kermode, the managing director of the ATP World Tour Finals and tournament director of the Aegon Championships.
• The Guardian examines why Great Britain's Lawn Tennis Association wasn't interested in Kermode.
• Peter Bodo selects his heart-wrenching moment of the year in tennis.
• Your WTA Newcomer of the Year is Genie Bouchard.
• Laura Robson is reportedly working with Nick Saviano. That's a lot to juggle for Saviano, who is also coaching Bouchard.
• UPDATED: Matt Cronin reports Saviano is serving as a training base for Robson until she hires a new coach.