Daily Bagel: Gambler wins $196K for picking Australian Open champions
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Agnieszka Radwanska and Jerzy Janowicz did a commercial together.
• An Australian gambler won $196,000 for picking Li Na and Stanislas Wawrinka to win the Australian Open, according to Bloomberg News.
The person laid a $435 bet on the pair to become the men’s and women’s champions at the first Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year, Nicholas Tzaferis, a spokesman for Australia’s biggest bookmaker TAB Corp., said in an e-mail today.
At the time the bet was made at one of TAB’s 2,900 stores in Australia, the odds on each player both winning the event were 451-1. TAB couldn’t identify the punter because it was a cash bet.
• Will Li take over Maria Sharapova's spot at as the highest-earning female athlete?
• Richard Evans, writing for Tennis Channel's website, says Rafael Nadal will have a hard time trumping Roger Federer in his book, even if Nadal ends up with more Grand Slam titles.
• Li thanked almost everyone in her victory speech. Except China. And for that, she's being considered even more of a hero by Chinese youth.
• Li's Melbourne title opens up a whole host of storylines for the WTA season.
• Deadspin explores Grand Slam dominance beyond victories: the top point accumulators at men's majors during the Open era.
• Eugenie Bouchard and all women in sports deserve better.28 Problems Only Ridiculously Good-Looking People Have